Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing my Quaife steering rack and pinion, and ive gone from turning the steering wheel 4 times from end to end, to 2 times from end to end. All ive gotta do now is get my wheels aligned, my toe is in so bad its scary.

I hope i make it to work today :p

more info when everything is adjusted properly

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i alligned the wheels using a measuring tape, now they both point in the same direction, instead of towards each other. I will get it done profesionally when i can afford it.

quick steering is so much fun, and i beleive it will make my driving safer, but a lot more exhausting. I need full concentration on what my hands are doing on the wheel, or else i risk switching lanes. it makes me much more alert.

i can also feel every bump on the road, since i also have polyurethane steering bushings installed. i love the ability to feel the road like that, but i am glad i dont have an LSD in my tranny, i think the torque steer would rip my arms off.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Awesome, it sounds fun. Where did you buy it? How hard was the install?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got it from www.kingmotorsports.com

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?product=402&vehicle=CRX

after a HUGE mistake on their part (they sent me the wrong rack and pinion TWICE!) the install was pretty easy.

you need the rack and pinion housing from a 88-91 DX (the Si rack and pinion has different inner dimensions and will not work). i picked one up from a wrecker for $70 CDN.

install goes like this: i ripped the OEM parts out of the DX housing, got about $20 CDN in replacement seals, plastic bushings and lock washers. Grease the Quaife rack up, install the rack bushing, then slide the rack in, slap the pinion in with the new bearing and seal. adjust the rack guide to manuals specs (you need a 40mm wrench for this, or take it in to Honda)Install the tie rods, lock the washers on there, and new boots. Take your old rack and pinion off, and try to make sure the new one going on is APPROXIMATELY the same length as the one you are taking off... or else you will have a severe alignment problem like i did :oops:

to make sure things are going in a straight line, find a good marker on the bottom of your tyres, and measure from one tyre to the other, near the front of the rubber and the rear of the rubber. if both numbers are the same (mine was 57.25 inches) then your wheels should be aligned. This isnt an exact technique, but much better than tyres like this / \

it may seem pretty hard to turn the steering wheel for the first little while but the gears will break in soon. Its still an arm wrestle to drive tho, and i plan on getting 15" rims sometime too, which will make thigns worse. My dad tells me that some cars have quick ratio steering available with hydraulic assistance only. i remember watching a WRC rally on tv once, and Carlos Sainz lost his power steering... he finished those stages, but ended up with bloody hands, even with racing gloves on. scary stuff

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. I'm glad they finally sent you the right parts. That was becoming a bit of a nightmare for ya.

I would do this to my car too, but I'm afraid that with my tiny steering wheel, I doubt I'd be able to turn the wheel if I swapped the rack as well. :shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts