Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup that's right, after 15 years in a break-up and make-up off and on relationship with cigarettes, I finally like they say "dropped it like a bad habit."

I didn't want to proclaim anything til I was at least about 3 months clean. It (being clean) started back near the beginning of April when my allergies were 10 fold what they were last year. Smoking seemed to make it worse so I quit smoking which btw I can stop and have stopped cold turkey and not even crave it. I was mostly a social smoker and smoked when I drank, ate, or before bed. And, I'm planning on doing alot less drinking too.

Nicotine addiction to me is more mental than anything else. As long as you are convinced that you can be crabby or edgey or whatever unless you smoke, you will be. Then you are beat.

Now I don't stank (not as much anyway), I don't have to make unnecessary stops for cigarettes, and most importantly I don't have to possibly suffer a painful agonizing self inflicted death while my loved ones watch.

Nope you wont see me here in a month asking for forgiveness that I've gone back to my old ways. A few of you know me and know I don't funk around.

Free yourselves as I have! Ahem* sneak

-Heu

·
Registered
913 Posts
Tiersin said:
i think i have an even worse habit though, my car. at least money wise.
Amen brotha. My name is Jeff, and I am a CRX-Aholic. :oops:

Good will power Heu! We should make a CRX Community movie, demontrating how one man and his car overcame the great evil of nicotine and ... and...

It'd be cool. :D

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Hey, congratulations man! Welcome to the club!

Quitting cold turkey is a VERY hard thing to do, and while many proclaim that they 'could' do it, very few actually do it successfully... i'm proud of ya man! :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Good job man...Ive seen how hard it can be.

Im glad I cant stand the smell of a cigerette anyway...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Heurray! Now you can drop all your money down the other addiction sewer - the CRX!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I got hooked on these damn cigars after quitting nicotine about 15 years ago. I am gonna get some Welbutrin SR. Helps to quit. I got too many other issues to deal with right now to be messed up for a week.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey congrats Heu! I know how hard the whole cold turkey thing is.. I quit for 7 months.. and I dont know why the hell I picked the damned things up again!

Heu said:
Free yourselves as I have! Ahem* sneak
I have a secret date set already....

later

Sneak

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
sneaky_pete said:
Why not quit right this second?

If you don't have the will power to take your pack of ciggs you have on you right this second, crumple it up and throw it in the trash as soon as you get done reading this and quit for good, then you won't have the will power to do it down the road either.

Its like this diet i'm on. Man, you pretty much have to be almost "militaristic" about it. There's no point in saying "well, i'll only have a bag of chips every other day, and then later i'll go to no chips".... or "maybe i'll cut it down to only one soda a day instead of 4 or 5 like i normally do"... just quit the **** right the F now... why wait? you're not doing your body any good.

Right now i'm on a sub-1000 Calorie-per-day diet... Talk about being hard on yourself... lol! I'm also riding my bike about an hour hard-core every day. I don't mean i'm just "strolling along" for an hour... i mean i'm PUSHING for an hour. So far in the diet process, i've dropped as of this morning 11 pounds, and i've never felt better. No soda, no smoking, exercising.... this is GREAT!

But i never could have done it if i had said "oh, well i'll just do it later instead of now", or "i'll just taper off, and maybe a month down the road, i'll be where i want to be". You'll just waste a month, and hurt yourself even more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dohcrxl said:
Yup that's right, after 15 years in a break-up and make-up off and on relationship with cigarettes, I finally like they say "dropped it like a bad habit..."
Congratulations- with your three month window, it sounds like the real deal. Clearing away an addiction is not easy, and not commonly afforded the respect it deserves in our culture. Good luck!

ComposiMo said:
sneaky_pete said:
Why not quit right this second?

If you don't have the will power to take your pack of ciggs you have on you right this second, crumple it up and throw it in the trash as soon as you get done reading this and quit for good, then you won't have the will power to do it down the road either...
Well intentioned as it may be, this is a bit of an over simplification. The deal with setting a date in the future is to plan for the lifestyle change, building a new infrastructure, if you will.

It takes a few weeks to a month of analyzing one's own decisions- the situational setups, and the actions taken- in order to put together a very deliberate plan to leave an addiction behind.

And you will fail. The first time. Maybe the second time. But as long as you learn what was going on and integrate the results into your plan, you'll be able to make it happen.

In some ways (but not in every way), I wish it were easier than this. However, I've learned first hand that a reliable solution to defeating addiction is in the 'systems approach'- goals, time and planning, implemention, and a feedback loop.

ComposiMo said:
...Right now i'm on a sub-1000 Calorie-per-day diet... Talk about being hard on yourself... lol! I'm also riding my bike about an hour hard-core every day. I don't mean i'm just "strolling along" for an hour... i mean i'm PUSHING for an hour. So far in the diet process, i've dropped as of this morning 11 pounds, and i've never felt better. No soda, no smoking, exercising.... this is GREAT!...
A cyclist myself, I agree there's no easier way to burn calories. In the long haul, 'easy does it', as they say. This is not a matter of will power- it's physiology. (The writings of Michael Colgan have been pretty valuable to me on this.)

Oh good lord- I better step off the soapbox so somebody else can use it. :rolleyes1: In any event, I hope you're enjoying the riding! It's a passion of mine, and I'm always keen to see other people get into it!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
rexicon said:
Well intentioned as it may be, this is a bit of an over simplification. The deal with setting a date in the future is to plan for the lifestyle change, building a new infrastructure, if you will.
I don't believe it is an over-simplification... i TRIED the whole "oh, i need to plan it out so i don't break my nails" prissy-method.... as "nice", and psychologically "soft" that method is, it is just not the way. It certainly did not help me quit one bit.

Smoking is an addiction, and the only way you're going to get over it is grab your balls, and get the F over it NOW.... if i sound rather adamant about it, i am for good reason... because i know it works, and like a lot of other things in life (e.g. eating right, and NOT EATING TOO MUCH), it really IS a lot about will-power.

rexicon said:
A cyclist myself, I agree there's no easier way to burn calories. In the long haul, 'easy does it', as they say. This is not a matter of will power- it's physiology. (The writings of Michael Colgan have been pretty valuable to me on this.)

Oh good lord- I better step off the soapbox so somebody else can use it. :rolleyes1: In any event, I hope you're enjoying the riding! It's a passion of mine, and I'm always keen to see other people get into it!
No reason to "step off the box"... stay up there as long as you want.. i carry a spare with me wherever i go! :lol:

I wouldn't say that i'm "enjoying" cycling necessarily (although i really do enjoy doing laps around the local school track facility)... but much like that will-power thing, i'm grabbing my balls, and DOING it, not just talking about starting to do it a month from now :p I'm also going to buy a rowing machine, because i personally feel that rowing (ivey-league-style) is an even better exercise than cycling... especially since you use your legs in the same manner rowing, but you also are working your upper body, and doing situps almost all at the same time. When i get on that, look out! lol!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.