Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 crx hf that I am trying to get to pass CA smog. The problem I am encountering is that the fan comes on when I turn the key on, rather than waiting until engine temp reaches a certain point, say 215 degrees. I have checked the "black box" and have found no malfunction. Also, relay near battery.
Can anyone suggest where any other components might be that would keep the fan from coming on instantly, as it is doing?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
zerocool1014a said:
Sounds like an engine temp sensor to me... since its all electronically controlled.
In 1st gen CRXs, the circuit consists of a fuse, the fan motor and a thermoswitch in series. I wouldn't call it "electronic" personally... Electromechanical maybe.
The 2nd gen's version of the circuit adds a relay to reduce wear on the thermoswitch... Still electromechanical.

Anyway... According to my info, the thermoswitch should be on the lower radiator tank. Unplug the wires going to it and switch the ignition on. If the fan doesn't come on, you've got a bad switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.