Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently my car started over heating. we replaced the thermostat to find out the fan just isnt kicking on. so replace the fan motor. problem here is the only replacement motors i could find are "universal" and look to be a lot longer than the original motor. no one had even a picture of the original one. my question is: if i get this universal motor, is there an easy way to get it in? i have A/C lines running across the top of where the fan will be, and its hard enough getting the stock motor in there. id rather not have to bleed the ac lines and recharge it if possible. also, if the universal motor wont go in easily, how much can i expect to pay honda for one, assuming they have it?

also, the universal motor looks a lot like the other fan. but the fan that isnt kicking on when the car starts is the one on the driver's side. im fairly certain this is the cause of the overheating because you can flick the blades of the fan to get it started and the car wont over heat with it running. the motor just wont start when its hot.

anyway, hope this question makes sense, i havent slept much in the last few days.

'89 hf w/ '90 d16a6

·
Registered
731 Posts
Your first priority should be to find the cause of the overheating problem. If you don't you will run the risk of serious damage to the engine. Read the other overheating thread here on the "stock garage" forum for full diagnosis detail.

About your fan motor, why not just get one from the junkyard? It wont be more than 20 bucks. Honda will probably get you for over a hundred. Oh another thing you can try is putting power and ground directly to the lazy fan. If it works fine then obviously you have way too much resistence (corrosion) in the wire(s) going to that specific motor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dohcrxl said:
Your first priority should be to find the cause of the overheating problem. If you don't you will run the risk of serious damage to the engine. Read the other overheating thread here on the "stock garage" forum for full diagnosis detail.

About your fan motor, why not just get one from the junkyard? It wont be more than 20 bucks. Honda will probably get you for over a hundred. Oh another thing you can try is putting power and ground directly to the lazy fan. If it works fine then obviously you have way too much resistence (corrosion) in the wire(s) going to that specific motor.
lol yes, we've jumped the battery to the motor, im sure its the culpret and the overheating problem. im going by a local shop tomorrow to see if i cant find one. the fan works fine as long as you spin it to get it started, which im assuming is the bearings going out, but eitherway, i not driving it at all until i can find a fan. found the fan, motor, and housing on ebay for 15 bucks, with 20 shipping, so thats a last resort. thanks for the help ;]

i also read the thread, wish id read it before i started diagnosing, woulda saved some time.

beau

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help guys, picked an entire assembly up for 40 bucks down in montgomery. however it still over heats to an extent, but im going to flush the corroded water out and fill it with 50/50 tomorrow. hopefully ill be good to go after that.

also ive learned its the a/c compressor fan, not the radiator fan. which explains a little, but theres still none to be had hardly at all, outside of honda.

beau

·
Registered
731 Posts
vega said:
however it still over heats to an extent, but im going to flush the corroded water out and fill it with 50/50 tomorrow. hopefully ill be good to go after that.
Beau, I think there's more to your overheating issue. Consider that unless you're in stop and go traffic in 80+ temps, the cooling fans rarely ever have to come on in a cooling system that is in good shape. It's easy enough to put your ear to the radiator cap and listen for a wooosh. (engine must be turned off for at least an hour... recommend you read the entire write-up) It's easy enough to look at your radiator and check for bent, broken, or missing fins. It's easy enough to grab hold of some hoses and feel for surge. etc. etc.

And keep in mind that after flushing the system with water, adding 50/50 wont give you a 50/50 mix in the system. You must account for the existing water that will be in the heater core, hoses, and water jackets of the engine. I'd put in 70/30 after a flush to obtain a 50/50.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok according to the trouble shooting guide you posted, ive checked the thermostat by comparing the temps of the two hoses while the car is at operating temp. the lower hose isnt hot or even warm at all while the upper hose is pretty hot. something else ive noticed is the fan on the passenger side of the car is not coming on at all. i have ran jumper wires to it and the fan is good, so im thinking maybe its the switch? would the switch failing also cause the bottom radiator hose to be cold like that? the thermostat is new, it was the first thing we replaced. thats not to say it hasnt gone bad, but id like to eliminate all i can before i drain the coolant again. the car will not run hot sitting at idle, i let it sit for 30+ mins and it didnt move past half way on the gauge. i want to blame it on the fan not working, but it kinda seems like theres something else wrong o_O

also, the resevoir (sp?) boils the coolant. im guessing this has to do with the bottom radiator hose not being hot?

there is a lot of corrosion in the water ive flushed out, and it isnt completly clean even now. i have checked pressure in the cap and it all seems ok.

thanks agian for the help, if i cant get this figured out tomorrow, im going to take it to a local shop and see if he can help me out.

beau

oh, and the driver side fan (condensor?) always comes on as soon as i turn the key to on. even when cold and before start up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rex2nr said:
I would read up on the other thread on overheating,click me! . Hue gave lots of good info over there.
aye that write up is what im following for diagnosing it, its just gotten late and the light outside in the garage is less than fair so ive given up for the night. im wanting to test the switch tomorrow after class.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.