Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It's a combination of the latch mechanism, the worn weather stripping, and a bit of fatigue in the metal of the hatch.

Moving this to the stock garage forum.

·
Registered
818 Posts
check the rear latch loop, there is a metal shim under it if you unscrew the bolts a little bit you can slide it outward to adjust the tightness of the hatch and it should help with the sqeeking... another thing is to watch out for yourself or other people slamming your hatch.. they tend to wear like doors do

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Don't bother with removing the shims.... you'll successfully misalign your latch, and have a hell of a time getting it to line up nicely again.. lol!

Open the hatch, and if you look at the rear corners under the hatch, you'll see a rubber bumper tip sticking out on each corner... those unthread, and you can twist it out like a screw, and it'll 'tighten' the hatch when it closes... it'll make it a touch harder to close, but it can easily get rid of that annoying rattle/squeak. Also, using some good grease on the inside of the latch (like lithium, or something similar, or even anti-sieze, copper lube, etc) will help cut down on it to... just remember to watch your clothes, cause the latch will have some grease on it when it opens, but if your struts are in good shape, this won't be a problem... and if your struts are bad..... well CHANGE THEM! ... lol! :lol:

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
or grease it up some...i'm wondering if maybe the stock latch has some sort of anti-friction coating on it that gets worn out over time... i just ordered a brand-spanking-new oem latch and striker earlier today ironically, and i'm going to do a nice side-by-side comparo with a known-squeaking one when it gets here on Friday :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I always back the rubber stoppers out all the way, but it usually doesn't make a huge difference. A little electrical tape around the "loop" portion of the latch generally helps, though. I hate hatch squeak!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yup^^^^^^^I just did the electrical tape around the "loop" on my red Si and that fixed my rattle.

Otherwise, you're dealing with a car that is coming up on 20 years old!!!!!! Not only that, but a car that has a lot of plastic in it and dried up rubber seals.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.