Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound dumb but...My rear defoggers don't work, never have. I was tracing out another problem and noticed that (according to the shop manual) that the relay for the defoggers isn't where it's supposed to be. Is it supposed to be on the fuse panel and what does it look like?

·
Registered
952 Posts
There are two fuses. One to power the switch (relay) and one to power the rear defrosters. One is in the fuse box under the dash, Fuse one i think, the other is in the main fuse box under the hood. Start there. (note: this is for the 91 CRX SI information. Could be different for other models and years.)

Does the light on the switch light up when pressed? If yes, your problem is most likely is the elements in the window, but could be wiring to the rear too. If no, then its most likely the switch or wiring going to the switch from the fuse. To test all this, you need a volt meter to see where the power stops. But start with the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no power to the rear window. The light comes on and that's where I lose it. I was looking at the diagram and it shows a relay on the fuse panel. Am I mis-reading this?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ok, so power is going to the switch and no, your not mis reading it. Did you check the fuse under the hood? Its a 20A fuse. The next thing to check would be the relay. That fuse under the hood is what powers the defoggers and goes though the relay, thats why i say check it.

Do you have a volt meter? It would help in finding the problem.

The Relay is under the dash in the main fuse box. Is above the fuses and to the left of the spares. There's two box pre say. The bigger on on the left is hazards and the smaller on the right is the defrost.

[img=http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/3270/defoggerrl4.th.png]
You could either replace it and hope it works or test it with a power source and volt meter. Let me know if you want me to go though testing it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ill post how to test it tomorrow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the delay on responding, I was called away on another mission. My problem is (this and the write up above confirmed it) my relay is missing. Now I just need to order one from Honda. Thanks for the help on this.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
You can buy a repair kit at your FLAPS. It should come with a conductive copper paint to cover the breaks. If the breaks aren't obvious, you can test the lines for continuity to narrow down the damaged area.

I had to repair one line on my rear defroster. Speaking from experience, it's much easier if you remove the hatch from the car.

·
Registered
20,303 Posts
jfrolang said:
You can buy a repair kit at your FLAPS. It should come with a conductive copper paint to cover the breaks. If the breaks aren't obvious, you can test the lines for continuity to narrow down the damaged area.

I had to repair one line on my rear defroster. Speaking from experience, it's much easier if you remove the hatch from the car.
Awesome, good info!

But what is FLAPS?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.