Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

When I turn on the rear defroster, it only stays on for about 1 second, then clicks off. Every once in a blue moon it will stay on normally. Is there some safeguard that's causing it too cut off?

Thanks,
-Alex

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
could be the dash switch... mine does the same thing i just have to push the switch just right to get it to stay on try that first

Chris

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I'll go with the switch as toxic was saying.
You could try cleaning the switch contacts. The switch can be pried apart and reassembled if you do it carefully.
As a second possibility, the circuitry in the switch itself could be damaged. According to the '91 CRX owners manual, the defroster is designed to shut off automaticly after 25 minutes. Given the switch wiring (power, ground, switched output and 2 lighting wires) and the way the switch acts (resets itself to off when power is removed) the timer is most likely built into the switch. I use a '88-89 defroster switch for my foglights and they don't shut off after 25 minutes, so scratch that idea if you have the older switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it's an '89 switch. I'll try cleaning the contacts. Could also be a cold solder joint. I think there's some sort of timer circuit as well. Just have to figure out where it is...

-Alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts