Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be getting my first CRX this week, a 1990 DX. The guy I am getting it from also has a rear disc conversion from an Si for $140. I had originally intended to go with a rear disc upgrade from a DA Integra, do you guys think it would be worth it to hold off for the Integra brakes or go ahead and get the CRX Si ones?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,746 Posts
Not sure if that's really a good deal. Blkjag and another friend of mine picked up an entire DA teg rear end for around 50 bucks from a a junkyard. They unbolted the shock towers, trailing arms, LCAs and sway mount, they even left the brakes and everything on there, and left it connected via the sway bar. Keep looking, at least for that money you should be able to get a DA brake setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,463 Posts
downest said:
Not sure if that's really a good deal. Blkjag and another friend of mine picked up an entire DA teg rear end for around 50 bucks from a a junkyard. They unbolted the shock towers, trailing arms, LCAs and sway mount, they even left the brakes and everything on there, and left it connected via the sway bar. Keep looking, at least for that money you should be able to get a DA brake setup.
I got mine for less also but what is your time worth? Having the whole thing out and ready to install is worth something. In any case not a bad price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,301 Posts
Dren said:
Spend your money on better brake pads for the front unless you want the disk brake look in the rear.
Yea, i would spend the $$ on quality pads and rotors for the front. Unless you plan on doing some hard auto-X with your car, or just want the bling factor of 4 wheel disc, the rear drums will be sufficient enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,746 Posts
He admitted he wants the bling, let him do it!
Personally, if you go with the teg rear, I would also suggest upgrading the fronts too, since the DA rear discs are the same size as CRX fronts, it looks a little weird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,301 Posts
downest said:
He admitted he wants the bling, let him do it!
Personally, if you go with the teg rear, I would also suggest upgrading the fronts too, since the DA rear discs are the same size as CRX fronts, it looks a little weird.
Man, relax, i'm not stopping him from doing it, jeez.
I thought it was blatantly clear by the smiley face that i was jokingly saying that "Drums will suffice for now to stop all of that "Dx" power", seemed clear to me.

Sorry about that! :rolleyes1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,746 Posts
baker423 said:
downest said:
He admitted he wants the bling, let him do it!
Personally, if you go with the teg rear, I would also suggest upgrading the fronts too, since the DA rear discs are the same size as CRX fronts, it looks a little weird.
Man, relax, i'm not stopping him from doing it, jeez.
I thought it was blatantly clear by the smiley face that i was jokingly saying that "Drums will suffice for now to stop all of that "Dx" power", seemed clear to me.

Sorry about that! :rolleyes1:
I'm sorry, didn't mean for it to come like that. You know, first post of the day... need coffee.

And don't rip on the DX power! It's got almost 50% more than this:


And he won his class!

[I will use that picture at every opportunity]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,301 Posts
downest said:
baker423 said:
downest said:
He admitted he wants the bling, let him do it!
Personally, if you go with the teg rear, I would also suggest upgrading the fronts too, since the DA rear discs are the same size as CRX fronts, it looks a little weird.
Man, relax, i'm not stopping him from doing it, jeez.
I thought it was blatantly clear by the smiley face that i was jokingly saying that "Drums will suffice for now to stop all of that "Dx" power", seemed clear to me.

Sorry about that! :rolleyes1:
I'm sorry, didn't mean for it to come like that. You know, first post of the day... need coffee.

And don't rip on the DX power! It's got almost 50% more than this:


And he won his class!

[I will use that picture at every opportunity]
NP man.... :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,384 Posts
The DA integra brakes are basically the same as the Si ones.
Honda has been swapping all sorts of brake parts around on various models.

On a stock DX, with stock front brakes, the Si rears won't really be that much of an improvement. The big difference comes when you upgrade the front and start to upset the rear balance.

Rear discs have slightly more stopping power. But the fundamentals are in the proportioning valve and master cylinder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SETI20 said:
Rear discs have slightly more stopping power. But the fundamentals are in the proportioning valve and master cylinder.
That would be part of the swap, DA prop valve and MC. I also plan to eventually go with a K swap, in which case it seems like nice beefy discs would be a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Tr0n said:
Have to ask a few questions before i do this rear disc swap on my CRX. Would it be wise if i just did the Si conversation or the Da and just put bigger rotters on the rears? Also is there any write up on how to do the rear disc swap. What all is involded in doing this swap. Anything i should look out for or beware of??
IF you want to do the Si rear disk swap i can help you out. And the DA swap should be pretty much identical. You will need the complete trailing arms from an Si, including: brake calipers + rubber brake line, wheel bearing+rotor, e-brake cable. First go to the store and buy brake fluid, PB blaster, and some kind of bolt lubricant (also new RTA bushings and brake hardware like rotors or pads that you might need).

Block front wheel and support the rear of the car with jack stands (or use a lift)

Start on the car by disconnecting the rubber flex brake line from the steel line using a 10mm flare wrench. Make sure you have a little catch container to catch the fluid that will run out. There is a slide clip on top of the little L-bracket that holds the end of the rubber line in the L-bracket, remove this too.

Next, using a 14mm socket and a 17mm socket you simply unbolt the Dx trailing arm from the front toe adjuster bolt, bushing bolts, the UCA, the LCA. Now the only thing holding you in are the e-brake cables.

Go inside the car and remove the little front access panel on your e-brake cover. Us ea philips screwdriver to remove the two screws and slide the cover back and out. Unbolt the plate holding the ends of the two cable housings with a 10mm socket. You should be able to free the cable end nubs now. Go back under the car and you will need to remove the rear exhaust heat shield cover, its like 4 or five easy but annoying 10mm bolts. now feel for where the e-brake cables run and you will have to unbolt three 10mm bolts per side that are placed annoyingly between the underbody nd the gas tank edge. its slow goign and annoying but you have to do it. Once done push the ends of the cable from inside the car through their bushings/holes and pull them out through the bottom.

Do both sides and reverse the order to install the Si or DA assemblies. Don't forget to change your prop valve according to your front/rear brake setup before refilling the system, bleeding the brakes and hitting the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
But what I really want to know is, will DA rotors and calipers just bolt right up to the Si trailing arm? What do I nee dto do to put DA rear brakes on my Si trailing arms? Is it posible?
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top