Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing my rear seat install next week. I've got a few write ups on this (mostly from H-T). Any hints / tips to make this process easier?
The biggest glitch I see now is mounting the seatbelts. I guess one of the sides has a mounting hole that you just bolt into. The other one needs to be mounted some other way. One write up said to drop the gas tank and drill holes - too much work for me. The other one said that there is a hole, but it does not fit a bolt, so he just screwed it in - does not seem secure. Can I get these pieces welded in along with the brackets?

So it turns out that I did not recieve the hinge mounts! I guess these are riveted in on the stock JDM/EDM cars. I understand that the guy did not pull these out, but I need them! Any suggestions on how to install or where to get them?
Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
SETI20 said:
Remember that every and all write up I've seen with the belts mounted in any other way than stock is UNSAFE.
It may look the business, but you can never transport anyone in the back. Keep that in mind.
You will also be on a slippery slope insurance wise.

Just some things to keep in mind.
Yeah I wonder if it is even legal to have people in the back of a CRX?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure that its illegal to do this. I don't think that cops would give me **** for it.
I've had several occasions where I had people lay down in the back. So I've got a rear seat for those "special" occasions. Its probably more comfortable in the cramped back seat than laying down. Its more civil also.
What do you mean by slipery slope with my insurance, Seti?
I am not planing on going to them and trying to change my car from a 2 seater to a 4, if thats what you mean. I understand what you're saying about mounting the belts though. For now, welding them in seems like the safest and easiest way.

·
Registered
20,340 Posts
andrey320 said:
Oh, and please don't tell me how useless the back seat is....
How useful is it then?

It really was a useless idea on Honda's part to think that there would be headroom or room enough for ppl's feet. :lol:

The seatbelts will really be pointless installing since no one can sit properly in the back seat anyway.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
andrey320 said:
What do you mean by slipery slope with my insurance, Seti?
Your cars are rated for 2 persons. If you happen to be in an accident, and someone gets hurt. Who do you think they'll come to? I can guarantee you that occupant insurance will be void.
Besides, in a rear end accident, someone in the back is probably going to be dead anyway.

·
Registered
494 Posts
FACT: Without modification, you cannot mount a complete rear JDM/EDM seat in a USDM car.

Not Sure: Seti, not quite sure how the insurance works on something like that, but I'd be willing to bet that you're not far off.

Fact: I have had two people in the back with my rear seat. They would have been better off laying in the back with the cargo tray. The seat was designed for Japanese. Who, I understand, are a tad shorter than most Americans. :wink:

Fact: You do what you have to do to make your car yours. Just try to consider the laws and the effects of what you're doing. Also, you paid for the thing, you might as well install it. And if you do install it, please take the time to drop your gas tank and mount the belts. Dropping your tank is not that hard, I've done it plenty this summer trying to get to the root of a problem. Take the 2 hours, and mount the belts right. IMHO.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think the backseat looks pretty cool, and it's something different. I won't ever do it because my battery is mounted in the storage box, plus I LIKE the fact that my car is a pure two-seater, and I don't want to make it a half-ass two-seater...but looks-wise, I like 'em. If I did install a back seat, I probably wouldn't even mess with the belts. Nobody can sit back there in a standard way where the seatbelt would fit unless they are a tiny kid, and I would never put a tiny kid back there anyway, for safety issues. So, since nobody can really wear them, I'd probably just avoid the work AND the cluttered look of seatbelts.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
bend up some angle iron?

I would imagine that anyone in your car would be insured... the problem would be that if there was an accident, your insurance company would drop you. To much risk of a law suit on the company's hands to not cover personal injury. If the person in the back survived, they would sue either the driver of the cars (which the insurance company will take the hit on, especially if not at fault) or the company themselves.

·
Registered
177 Posts
On my backseat, I couldn't find a way to put the seatbelts in safely. My plan was to weld in plates(I am a certified Tig welder) with captured nuts for the belts to bolt to, much like Honda had from the factory. BUT, this would definitely require dropping the gas tank. My seat is for sale as I've decided against putting my kids in my CRX and I bought a Civic coupe to daily drive instead.
The hinges are not too crazy and I'm sure you could come up with something, my car is in storage otherwise I'd take pics for you of the hinges. Just make sure it's strong if you plan on actually carrying passengers.

Good luck, I love the way my backseat looks, and I'm sad that I can't keep it due to my car getting a cage. Is your seat cloth or vinyl?

·
Registered
117 Posts
andrey320 said:
http://hondaswap.com/body-exterior-interior-cosmetics/crx-rear-seat-install-w-pics-67087/
third pic down, bottom 2 pieces.
I guess I can probably guesstimate. The mounting process is not really exact, so maybe I can have some +/-.
You can. I've had my Backseat through 3 CRXs, and surely didnt mount it the same place everytime, and it looked/fitted fine.

Also, I've been pulled over several times with people in the backseat and never gotten any **** over it.

Also Also, I now have the same problem as you, I lost my hinge mounts and need some. If you make some, you should make me some and I'll buy em off you!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am in the process of making some. The problem is that I could not find good peices of metal for it. The peices that I got, are somewhat thin. The thicker ones were too thick to easily bend. So I am using 2 or 3 of them together. I may end up using these as templates for thicker pieces of metal. Will see how it goes. If I can get some mounts for not too expensive, I'll deffinetely go for that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.