731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford stole the 4th gen Prelude tail lights

and "fused" it with an Accord body

then slapped 5th gen Prelude head lights on naming it the FUSION

· Registered
3,709 Posts
I also thought that when I saw it.

But Ford can't take Hyundai's title, a few years back all their cars looked like Hondas from years past.

· Registered
20,445 Posts
Krix said:
Everytime I see one I think its a 4th gen prelude with altezzas.
I've made the same mistake.

Even though it is a Ford, i don't think it looks that bad.

Ragnaarok said:
But Ford can't take Hyundai's title, a few years back all their cars looked like Hondas from years past.
Hyundai's still look like Honda's and some Kia's look like mini Mercedes.

· Registered
9,754 Posts
The Tiburon aside, I think Hyundai makes sort of "knock-off" cars. They draw HEAVILY on design from other companies for their cars. They also sell them for cheaper, with a really good warranty. I haven't owned one, so I can't say one way or the other how they are long term, but they just seem cheap to me. Top gear did a really funny thing with 3 cheap Korean cars, and they ended up saying that one of the Hyundais was actually pretty nice, but the price of it made it pointless.

As far as economy though, drive an Accent. My grandfather bought one to replace his Volvo 240 (he bought new in '85) a couple of years ago, after test driving a lot of nicer cars. It's pretty utility, good MPG, reliable, small, and has a decent amount of cargo room. He calls it the pregnant roller skate. He loved the Volvo and my stepdad's CRX because he could actually fit in them both (big guy), and the Accent is the same. Anyway, they are filling the market for small, cheap, utility vehicles that the Civic and Corolla used to do. I'm not sure the Fit/Yaris will be able to do that like the compacts of ten years ago could, it's an important market in the US.

Sorry for the threadjack... I'm chilling in the library for my first class at 2...

· Administrator
16,557 Posts
downest said:
I haven't owned one, so I can't say one way or the other how they are long term, but they just seem cheap to me.
They're incredibly cheap. My grandmother has had two, and both are junk. The first one, an 89 Excel, lasted 11 years and 54k easy miles before it was declared salvage. I doubt it ever went more than a month between shop visits. The 2nd, a 2000 Elantra, isn't doing any better. At just 14k miles (!!!!) it's falling apart, the windows don't work anymore, the interior plastic is falling off everywhere, and the NVH is terrible. To its credit, it has been reliable as transportation, it's just a chore to own and drive. Both have always been 100% dealer serviced.

On the other hand, I have a friend that had a 2003 Tiburon for a couple years, he said it was rock solid and he loved it. He probably didn't have it long enough though, in 2005 he traded it for a Jeep Liberty.

· Registered
20,445 Posts
downest said:
Anyway, they are filling the market for small, cheap, utility vehicles that the Civic and Corolla used to do. I'm not sure the Fit/Yaris will be able to do that like the compacts of ten years ago could, it's an important market in the US.
Yes, the Civic, Corolla, Camry and even the Altima have all gained weight, step up in "lluxury" and gotten farther and farther from what they originally came from.

Now to fill the sub-compact void, we have the Yaris, Fit, Echo, and even Chevy with the Aveo.
Ppl are looking for the higher MPG's!

· Registered
62 Posts
I had a coworker here who was originally from Korea and she was telling me that Kias are (or where) considered "throw away" cars back home. People would pretty much just buy a new one every year and trash the old one since there were so inexpensive.

· Registered
109 Posts
I had a brand new 1991 Hyundai Scoupe right off the showroom floor. Drove it almost 2 years and 50,000 miles. It never missed a beat. Loved that little car.

· Registered
35 Posts
HA HA HA, I've been thinking that for months about the fusion. several good looking cars, mashed together to make one ugly one.

As for the hyundai thing. I work for honda, but out of a mazda hyundai dealer across the road. The 3 dealerships are joint owned, I work out of some space in the hyundai dealer, but work strictly on hondas...It's weird.

Anyways, when the dealers got along, I also worked on the hyundais and mazda's, I 've driven quite a few of the hyundais. Brand new they feel like pretty good cars. The warrenty is also appealing. I actually was thinking about picking up a new tiburon. But after watching the service I decided against it. It seems to be a hit or miss with the hyundais. Some of them are great cars and never need to come in for warranty, but then others will be in every other week with a new problem.

· Registered
301 Posts
The catch to the "great Hyundai warranty" that people don't read, or notice, is the fine print where it says.....

ELECTRICAL PARTS AND CONNECTIONS ARE NOT COVERED--

REPEAT--NOT COVERED.

Seriously, and the plastic the parts are made out of are 1/3rd the thickness of the manufacturers parts that they are competing against, and quickly break and deteriorate in inclimental weather over a short amount of time.

As far as the fusion goes: it looks exactly as explained above:

Lude tails-
Accord body-
Lude headlights-

With fords own version of a buck ugly grill. :rolleyes1:

· Registered
634 Posts
What comes to my mind when I look at the Fusion is a "fusion" between a '94-'97 Accord and a '98 or so Jetta. It's not *bad* looking, but neither is it groundbreaking. Kinda funny that Honda seems to have a rep as being rather "boring" when it comes to styling, especially in regards to the Accord. They're seen as playing it safe with the styling, going too conservative... and now we have a brand-spanking-new Ford that breaks no new ground stylistically, and we're to believe that this is the cutting edge and the new direction of Ford's styling.

The Fusion might be a fine car, and by all accounts it's "okay"... but there's nothing about it that makes me want to drive one. If I were in the market for a solid sedan, I'd much sooner plunk down my money on a ten-year-old Accord and never feel like I'd gotten the worse end of the bargain.

At least Ford had the good taste to copy (rather slavishly) a VERY good car. Too bad they had to copy one from ten years ago, though. On the bright side, by the year 2015, Ford could be building car's every bit as good as this year's Accord. If, that is, Ford is still around in 2015...

On the subject of Hyundai, I saw the new Azera a few days ago. I was kind of struck by how... *pretty* it is. I know, "Hyundai" and "pretty" aren't two words you usually see near each other, but the Azera is a good-looking 4-door. It reminds me of the later Mazda 929s and the Millenia - both of which were pretty sedans, but neither of which were very good ones. Let's hope Hyundai makes out better than Mazda on that score.

Going off topic a bit, but speaking of Mazda, how do you guys like the new CX-7? As "crossover" wagon/utes go, I find it to look pretty sweet. But then I look at the test results, and see an observed 13mpg. Let's see, turbocharged 4-cylinders were supposed to give the performance of a V8 with the fuel economy of a V6. Looks like Mazda got that backwards; they're getting the performance of the six and the economy of a big ol' gas-guzzlin' V8. Whoopsie.

Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.