Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

· Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
SETI20 said:
Yes, I meant thick-skulled. :wink:

And I have no clue what "smegekaas" is.
It looks a little bit like you mean either cream cheese (translated smear-cheese) or peanutbutter.

Jij eet [something] means "you eat" or "you're eating".
Dutch grammar works a bit different than english.
I just got that off a site that purports to have insults in every language. That one was kinda funny. But since it is nonsense....

I wish I knew a second language as well as you know english.

· Registered
603 Posts
I will say it again. One who studies any religion must be very carefull not to attatch infalibility to its leaders. No person on earth (other than Christ) lived the perfect life. That means that every single pastor, teacher, prophet, pope, and church member does bad things that can be labeled as a "sin". And every single atheist does these sins as well. No matter how clean you aim to be in life, you will always say something mean, do something dishonest, and so on.
So, when somebody tries to tell me that Christianity is evil, I can always use the blanket statement that people are evil, not Christianity. If I believe the Bible is truly the inspired word of God (which I do), then all arguments can just shed off me like water off a duck. Whether you like it or not, the moral compass inside all of us was put there by your creator. He instilled in each of us a sense of what is right and what is wrong. Awareness and the ability to make decisions with free will is what separates us from the animals.
And because I have faith in the Bible as being the true word of God, I can simply use scripture to point out all the ways other religions have corrupted these teachings (some in the name of God). In no place of the Bible does it elude to the idea of Heaven consisting of virgins for the men. This is just one of the ways that humans have corrupted faith.
You can spend your whole life searching for credible, tangible, imperical evidence of how God is not real. But in your search, all you will find is emptiness. Because that is what a Godless existence is, emptiness and nothingness. It would be better to have not been born than to turn your back to the love and charity that God tries so diligently to hand out to his children. Everyone receives blessings everyday. Believer and unbeliever alike. God is constantly trying to reach out to all of us, allways giving us a chance to acknowledge Him and his love that he pours out to us. But some still deny Him. But He will still try.
The love and good things that are in your life are given to you by a loving, heavenly father who desires all to join with him in paradise.

UBI caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
Congregavit nos in unum Christi amor.
Exultemus, et in ipso iucundemur.
Timeamus, et amemus Deum vivum.
Et ex corde diligamus nos sincero.

Translation:

WHERE charity and love are, God is there.
Christ's love has gathered us into one.
Let us rejoice and be pleased in Him.
Let us fear, and let us love the living God.
And may we love each other with a sincere heart.

What is there not to like? He isn't out to get you, just bring you home.

· Registered
179 Posts
Charles said:
So all other faiths are false? And there is only one true god? Good for you. No need to question anything.
Actually almost all of the major faiths believe that they are the only one so don't make it sound so extreme. It's fundamental to the belief system that there is only one true god.

Athiesm is the exact same way in believing that there is NO god at all which implies that their way is the only right way because belief in any god would be belief in a false god.

Agnostics just don't know.....duh

Some other religions embrace all gods but in reality how can you claim that all ways are right when each way claims that the others arent the right way? Yeah that's right logically you cant do that ( at least I can't without my head hurting)

Then there are other people who take the good fundamentals from each religion and live according to that kind of common sense code of ethics. Thats cool but where do you think they came from? Jesus did exist (ask Mark about secular history accouting for him) and he brought some NEW and great ideals on ways to live life better. You can choose not to believe he was the son of god (but I do ;) ) but he did exist. His ideas were new and ARE the most practical and profitable way to live life to this day. They may be hard to live up to but if we all could do that the world would be a better place.

· Registered
179 Posts
Charles said:
Actually, neither one is.
Would you like a cookie captian obvious?

This is really not the thread to act imature and bring in links to complete crap thank you very much. Try to keep the discussion pointed in a mature and intelligent direction please. If not the door is right above you and says "log out"

Have a nice day.

· Registered
179 Posts
Charles said:
Man, you're testy. They are just funny parody sites.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
No I'm not testy I just understand that there is a time and place for everything. That was not in the spirit of this thread at all and Crxfisher already stated that. I can and will own you with the funny in any thread other than this one ;) If you doubt me feel free to post a kill story on H-T and I will make you cry.

Have a nice day.

· Registered
603 Posts
Charles said:
So all other faiths are false? And there is only one true god? Good for you. No need to question anything.
If the teachings don't follow Christ and the Bible, then yes, cut and dry, quite simple for me.

Not everyone is right, in spite of what the secular world tries to tell everyone.

If this makes me a fundamentalist, then so be it. Because that belief is fundamental to my faith.

Commandment number one: You shall have no other gods before me.

Pretty simple if you ask me.

· Registered
179 Posts
CrxCarl said:
Charles said:
If the teachings don't follow Christ and the Bible, then yes, cut and dry, quite simple for me.

Not everyone is right, in spite of what the secular world tries to tell everyone.

If this makes me a fundamentalist, then so be it. Because that belief is fundamental to my faith.

Commandment number one: You shall have no other gods before me.

Pretty simple if you ask me.
yeah plus the fact the major faiths cannot logically ALL be correct.

YES!!!!!!!! *evil laugh* mauahahahhahahahaha the words "faith" and "logic" can logically be used in the same sentence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll take a heiny Bas. A cold one so we can drink to our common heritage 8)

Did I use the right "sentence/sentance"? I really suck spelling english :lol:

· Registered
4,386 Posts
You people -DO- realise that the bible is just a book, right?
Have you ever tried to bablefish a paragraph before?
And how many times has the bible been translated before it was translated into english? And who translated it again? And ofcourse they had no agenda of their own when they translated it, right? Do you seriously believe that it's even a vague representation of the original tellings?

I'm sure I'll burn in hell for this, but it's only a book folks!

How many experience do you have personally with other faiths to claim they are "false". Have you read the koran at all? It might be my mind playing tricks on me, but as far as I can tell it's the same damned book as the bible, just translated by someone else.

It's so easy to close your eyes and just pass judgement.
Thank you SO much for proving my points.

· Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
SETI20 said:
Have you ever tried to bablefish a paragraph before?
Hmmm. No.

Genesis 34:2 When Shechem son of Hamor the Hivite, the ruler of that area, saw her, he took her and violated her.

Babelfish English to Dutch: Toen de zoon Shechem van Hamor Hivite, de heerser van dat gebied, haar zag, nam hij haar en overtrad haar.

Babelfish Dutch to French: Le fils Shechem van Hamor Hivite, le dominateur de ce territoire, l'a vu à ce moment-là, a pris il sa et l'a enfreint.

Babelfish French back to Enlish: The son Shechem van Hamor Hivite, the dominator of this territory, saw at this time, took it its and enfreint has it.

Heheheh. I am easily amused.

· Registered
179 Posts
Seti can you translate a phrase from dutch to english and back and forth while keeping the meaning better than babelfish?

I thought you could ;)

BTW I can't remember how far back we have a copy of the bible but I do believe it's as near the life of Jesus as 500 years. We could always go back and make sure it was translated correctly now couldnt we :)

I mean really Bas. You speak more than one language. Don't you think you could come up with a stronger argument than that? What do you think they did had people with only a converstational level in the language they were translating the bible into take on the task? Do you think they just burned the original copy so no one would know if they screwed up?

They took such time and care just copying the bible that after it was translated one persons entire job description was the count every word from begining to end. I can't remember what the middle word was but if he got to the middle word and it wasnt the right one or in the right place they chucked the whole thing in that trash.

I think that's a little different than typing phrases into an online translator.

If I'm even close on the years that gives a written account more recent than Columbus landing in north america.

I find something funny. When I mock mocked Seti Crxfisher came into the thread and told us to be respectful. I've seen no such thing since Charles and Sneaky Pete have stepped into the thread.

Thats wierd.

· Registered
4,386 Posts
I4sillypwr said:
Seti can you translate a phrase from dutch to english and back and forth while keeping the meaning better than babelfish?

I thought you could ;)
Well yeah, I tried translating whole pages at once, and it spit out jibberish back at me.

I agree that an online translator isn't the same thing. But it's sufficient to make my point. In fact, there are numerous interpretations in the bible used today, that have proved to be way off.

My old theology teacher was proficient enough in the hebrew language to show "us" (students) some interesting discrepancies. Unfortunately I wasn't interested enough to bother to remember the details.

As a matter of fact, this particular teacher was a bit of a fanatic, and tried to show us that the bible is actually a watered down version for the meek who would not be able to stomach the "full devine truth" as she would call it.

Wich kindof proves my point exactly. Have an archeologist analyse the bible, and you'll have a whole different interpretation of it. It is, again, in the eye of the beholder.

Where you see a miracle, I see a force of nature.
Is that miraculous...it certainly is. But that's again a matter of symantics.
See my point?

· Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I4sillypwr said:
I find something funny. When I mock mocked Seti Crxfisher came into the thread and told us to be respectful. I've seen no such thing since Charles and Sneaky Pete have stepped into the thread.

Thats wierd.
"Stepped into the thread"? I started it. Nah, I have been nothing but honey and butter. You and Seti got nasty. But I forgive you, my son.

· Registered
179 Posts
SETI20 said:
I4sillypwr said:

I thought you could ;)
Well yeah, I tried translating whole pages at once, and it spit out jibberish back at me.

I agree that an online translator isn't the same thing. But it's sufficient to make my point. In fact, there are numerous interpretations in the bible used today, that have proved to be way off.

My old theology teacher was proficient enough in the hebrew language to show "us" (students) some interesting discrepancies. Unfortunately I wasn't interested enough to bother to remember the details.

As a matter of fact, this particular teacher was a bit of a fanatic, and tried to show us that the bible is actually a watered down version for the meek who would not be able to stomach the "full devine truth" as she would call it.

Wich kindof proves my point exactly. Have an archeologist analyse the bible, and you'll have a whole different interpretation of it. It is, again, in the eye of the beholder.

Where you see a miracle, I see a force of nature.
Is that miraculous...it certainly is. But that's again a matter of symantics.
See my point?
Yes I do see your point Bas and it really comes down to a point of view difference. People will always see things differently and that's ok. I still think you are a cool guy.

Charles Bas and I know each other somewhat and we aren't being nasty to each other at all. If you can't handle the discussion with out acting like a child I will again direct you to the exit sign labeled "log out"

· Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I4sillypwr said:
Charles Bas and I know each other somewhat and we aren't being nasty to each other at all. If you can't handle the discussion with out acting like a child I will again direct you to the exit sign labeled "log out"
Grow up.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.