Honda CRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Religious fundamentalism = Intolerance

23K views 88 replies 19 participants last post by  jaowli 
#1 ·
#77 ·
I4sillypwr said:
Seti can you translate a phrase from dutch to english and back and forth while keeping the meaning better than babelfish?

I thought you could ;)
Well yeah, I tried translating whole pages at once, and it spit out jibberish back at me.

I agree that an online translator isn't the same thing. But it's sufficient to make my point. In fact, there are numerous interpretations in the bible used today, that have proved to be way off.

My old theology teacher was proficient enough in the hebrew language to show "us" (students) some interesting discrepancies. Unfortunately I wasn't interested enough to bother to remember the details.

As a matter of fact, this particular teacher was a bit of a fanatic, and tried to show us that the bible is actually a watered down version for the meek who would not be able to stomach the "full devine truth" as she would call it.

Wich kindof proves my point exactly. Have an archeologist analyse the bible, and you'll have a whole different interpretation of it. It is, again, in the eye of the beholder.

Where you see a miracle, I see a force of nature.
Is that miraculous...it certainly is. But that's again a matter of symantics.
See my point?

#78 ·
I4sillypwr said:
I find something funny. When I mock mocked Seti Crxfisher came into the thread and told us to be respectful. I've seen no such thing since Charles and Sneaky Pete have stepped into the thread.

Thats wierd.
"Stepped into the thread"? I started it. Nah, I have been nothing but honey and butter. You and Seti got nasty. But I forgive you, my son.

#79 ·
SETI20 said:
I4sillypwr said:
Seti can you translate a phrase from dutch to english and back and forth while keeping the meaning better than babelfish?

I thought you could ;)
Well yeah, I tried translating whole pages at once, and it spit out jibberish back at me.

I agree that an online translator isn't the same thing. But it's sufficient to make my point. In fact, there are numerous interpretations in the bible used today, that have proved to be way off.

My old theology teacher was proficient enough in the hebrew language to show "us" (students) some interesting discrepancies. Unfortunately I wasn't interested enough to bother to remember the details.

As a matter of fact, this particular teacher was a bit of a fanatic, and tried to show us that the bible is actually a watered down version for the meek who would not be able to stomach the "full devine truth" as she would call it.

Wich kindof proves my point exactly. Have an archeologist analyse the bible, and you'll have a whole different interpretation of it. It is, again, in the eye of the beholder.

Where you see a miracle, I see a force of nature.
Is that miraculous...it certainly is. But that's again a matter of symantics.
See my point?
Yes I do see your point Bas and it really comes down to a point of view difference. People will always see things differently and that's ok. I still think you are a cool guy.

Charles Bas and I know each other somewhat and we aren't being nasty to each other at all. If you can't handle the discussion with out acting like a child I will again direct you to the exit sign labeled "log out"

#80 ·
I4sillypwr said:
Charles Bas and I know each other somewhat and we aren't being nasty to each other at all. If you can't handle the discussion with out acting like a child I will again direct you to the exit sign labeled "log out"
Grow up.

#84 ·
I don't care if you worship a 59 Edsel.
Just don't push it off on me.
Oh, and just because I don't worship the Ed, don't vilify me.

I still think that the Quakers got it right.
God is in everybody, no need for garish buildings, ritual or a secret handshake.
They believe that you and I have just as much pull with the big dude as, say, the pope.

Yup, I said it, the pope is just this guy, you know?

#85 ·
I4sillypwr said:
I find something funny. When I mock mocked Seti Crxfisher came into the thread and told us to be respectful. I've seen no such thing since Charles and Sneaky Pete have stepped into the thread.

Thats wierd.
That's because I haven't been online since my last post. I'm just now catching up. Last warning. Any more personal attacks and this thread is locked.

#86 ·
crxfisher said:
I4sillypwr said:

Thats wierd.
That's because I haven't been online since my last post. I'm just now catching up. Last warning. Any more personal attacks and this thread is locked.
:)b

woah we have a sweeeeet selection of emotions. Nice work admin dude!

#87 ·
See what happens when someone mentions religion into a public forum....never a good thing. I believe everyone is entitled to believe what they want. Besides, who cares what someone else thinks about your personal beliefs. In the end, what matters the most is you, not the person who has been diligent enough to throw out their own comments about what is right and what is wrong.

#88 ·
jaowli said:
Besides, who cares what someone else thinks about your personal beliefs.
Eh... That line of thought depends on whether or not you think Truth exists and is worth knowing. When people think they've found an answer to a question or problem, they tend to stop looking for others. Becoming attached to the teachings of a preticular religion can take the problem to an extreme so that you are now doing your best to ignore anything but the answer you've found... Defending your answer.
The trouble is that you may be blinding yourself to an answer that better satisfies your spiritual needs or reveals some greater truth in the world around you.
A good person would want to help others find their way to the best answer... the True Answer, right? To help them be genuinely happy? I guess the key point is happiness. In my experiance, the truth isn't always pretty... So for people that can't cope with it, I guess the best way to help them to be happy is to keep the truth from them. To lie to them.

#89 ·
bobski said:
jaowli said:
Besides, who cares what someone else thinks about your personal beliefs.
Eh... That line of thought depends on whether or not you think Truth exists and is worth knowing. When people think they've found an answer to a question or problem, they tend to stop looking for others. Becoming attached to the teachings of a preticular religion can take the problem to an extreme so that you are now doing your best to ignore anything but the answer you've found... Defending your answer.
The trouble is that you may be blinding yourself to an answer that better satisfies your spiritual needs or reveals some greater truth in the world around you.
A good person would want to help others find their way to the best answer... the True Answer, right? To help them be genuinely happy? I guess the key point is happiness. In my experiance, the truth isn't always pretty... So for people that can't cope with it, I guess the best way to help them to be happy is to keep the truth from them. To lie to them.
Agreed....just my thougths though...and you know what I think about what others think...lol. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.