Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any trick to getting the alternator pivot bolt( I think that is what the manul calls it). It is the bolt at the bottom of the alternator that goes through the braket mounted on the block. I have beat on it with a hammer( the threads are now ruined, stupid me) and the bolt still has not moved. I sprayed PB blaster along the bolt and still has not helped. I can't get a wrench on the one bolt that holds the braket to the block either. :(

Help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I just went through the SAME hassle as you are.
My dad and I dubbed that bolt "The unbelievaBOLT" Because when you're hammering the bejesus out of it and it's not budging, you just want to scream, "IT'S UNBELIEVABOLT!"

Same stuck bolt, same PB and hammer experience. I even tried heating it. Nothing. Dremel is your friend...

If you do that, and need a new one for a core charge, I have a couple dead alternators in the garage you can have one for the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is UNBELIEVABOLT how hard it is in there. I don't want to buy a remaned. alternator because the one on there now is fine. I'm just swapping engines and need the alternator.

So you just cut the bolt holes to get the alternator off with a dremel?

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
laughing my butt off at the UNBELIEVABOLT comment.

and yes I vote heat, it works wonders...(if it can free seized snowblower rakes, it can do anything heh)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Unbelievabolts cringe at the thought of my BFH and masonary stake!

Here's what you do:

Get a hold of something that resembles a masonary stake. You know, them solid 1 inch round metal stakes that taper to a point and used to hold boards in place when cement is poured? I'm sure you can get something similar at a building supply store. Anyway, with the 2 foot long stake, place it on 2 jackstands raised to the proper height and with one big swing of a 4 plus pound sledge hammer, it should shoot right out. I've done this many times on cars people hammered the crap out of and just about gave up on.

-Heu

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
dohcrxl said:
Anyway, with the 2 foot long stake, place it on 2 jackstands raised to the proper height and with one big swing of a 4 plus pound sledge hammer, it should shoot right out.
I'm not following this completely. What's the orientation of the stake, and what are you swinging at? It sounds like you're saying to lay the stake across two jackstands and then hit it with a sledge. Sounds cool and all, but how is that going to help get the alternator out? :?

·
Registered
731 Posts
The stake is of course by implication placed against the pivot bolt. Striking the stake on the other end will force the bolt to shoot out the other side.

Do I understand the poster right or is his problem not that he can't get that bolt to budge?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.