Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I tried everything that you suggested about removing the rear motor mount bolt, and I couldn't get it to work. With my fat fingers and big forearms, I could not reach inbehind to get a socket and swivle onto the bolt from behind the motor mount. I even tried dropping the crossmember a bit to get into there. I can only conclude that I am OWNED by the rear motor mount. It is inconceivable that it would be that difficult to remove one stupid little bolt. I would basically have to partially or completely remove the rear crossmember in order to get the rear bolt out. ARGH!!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
have you tried open end or box end wrenches? thats how i did it on my crx when i replaced my motor mounts to hasports.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GSRCRXsi said:
have you tried open end or box end wrenches? thats how i did it on my crx when i replaced my motor mounts to hasports.
I would have to lower the cross member quite a ways before I could get a wrench in there. With the engine still in the car, it's such a tight space to work in.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess my problem is I can't reach back there to get the actual tool on the head of the bolt. I have done this before with a CRX, and I remember it being a big ordeal, but I did get the bolt off. However, I didn't have a front motor mount on that car, so I could push the engine forward a bit to make more room. I never did manage to get the bolt back in with the new motor mount though.

·
Registered
566 Posts
have you tried to get at it from on top the car rather then under it? try getting at it under the intake manifold or something.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GSRCRXsi said:
have you tried to get at it from on top the car rather then under it? try getting at it under the intake manifold or something.
That's how I'm trying to get at it. I tried from under the car as well before I threw in the towel. :p

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
if push comes to shove. . just pull the intake.. . .this seems to be killing you ... .youll just need to get a new gasket... but at least you will have some room in there to work ... .. I would suggest the top as the best way to remove it.... . plenty of room. once the IM is off... .

good luck

Chris

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know... I almost think it would be easiest for me to undo the endlinks on the sway bar and then unbolt the rear crossmember. I realize that the exhaust and shift linkage are in the way, but it should drop down enough for me to unbolt the motor mount.

·
Registered
230 Posts
if we lived closer i would come and help you because i know its a PIA. maybe ill drive up there some day for my future SE and meet you. ahhh i love being 16 :p skinny arms...ahhh envious yet? lol

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had good luck with a Craftsman 14mm wobble-socket. It's a socket/U-joint in one piece, so it gets into that little space easier than any combination of u-joints and sockets I tried - and I tried them all! That one socket (about $5 at Sears) may never be used for anything else, but it was still well worth the price.

Hope you get it out soon.

Mike

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kwicko said:
I had good luck with a Craftsman 14mm wobble-socket. It's a socket/U-joint in one piece, so it gets into that little space easier than any combination of u-joints and sockets I tried - and I tried them all! That one socket (about $5 at Sears) may never be used for anything else, but it was still well worth the price.
That worked! :D Thanks Kwicko! I went out an bought that socket, and I had the motor mount off within 5 mins of getting home. Once I had the two other bolts out, I tapped the mount over towards the passenger side with a sledge hammer. I was then able to reach around behind the mount and position the socket on the bolt. I'll do a writeup shortly so that nobody else has to suffer with this *EVIL EVIL* task.

·
Registered
274 Posts
stickershop said:
Kwicko said:
That worked! :D Thanks Kwicko! I went out an bought that socket, and I had the motor mount off within 5 mins of getting home. Once I had the two other bolts out, I tapped the mount over towards the passenger side with a sledge hammer. I was then able to reach around behind the mount and position the socket on the bolt. I'll do a writeup shortly so that nobody else has to suffer with this *EVIL EVIL* task.
OMG ! I went the long way by lowering the rear cross member.. Write this up, I wanna buy the sears tool too !

·
Registered
634 Posts
Glad it worked for ya, 'shop. I wrestled with that bolt on a customer's car for a good hour before a buddy of mine - who's a Honda certified tech and works at the local dealership - whipped out that wobble-socket and showed me how. I went out the next day and bought one at Sears. It has served NO other purpose to this day, but it's well worth the $7.99 it cost just to know that I *can* remove that bolt if I want to! No combination of sockets, ratchets, extensions, or U-joints would fit in the space that existed, and that socket is just short enough AND has the U-joint built in, so it CAN get in there and do the job. It's become one of my "indispensible" Honda tools as a result, because when it comes to that one single bolt, no other tool will make it as easy.

Getting it out is the easy part, though - now you've got to get it back IN! :(

Mike

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kwicko said:
Getting it out is the easy part, though - now you've got to get it back IN! :(
Mike
Ya, I hear you on that one. I got it back on, but I don't know how tight I got that rear bolt. I *think* i got it tight enough, but I have no real way of checking. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts