Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm working on replacing all my ground wires. I've replaced the battery and tranny (?) grounds, and have made the engine wires.

Before I replace the engine grounds, I wanted to make sure about the process for the valve cover. Can I just remove that one nut, replace the ground wires, and re-torque or do I need to loosen all of the nuts on the valve cover and then re-torque all of them in a particular order?

Thanks,

Lang

·
Registered
731 Posts
No need to undo all the valve cover nuts and retorque in sequence. It's not all that crucial.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It's not even a very high torque value, is it? Like 10 ft-lbs or so... That's not even enough to bother with a torque wrench. Just turn it so that it's firm...but don't reef on it. You just want it on there snug.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Phoenix,

I bought the wire from a local auto parts store and the ring terminals and shrink wrap from a local hardware store. I used 4 gauge wire for the battery and 8 gauge for everything else.

·
Registered
428 Posts
downest said:
Be careful, the valve cover crown nuts will easily snap the studs (done it twice).
Exacty - think "hand tight" with a nutdriver, not a wrench.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All this thread needs is a pic or two of where the ground straps are (with callouts in yellow or red) and this thread should get put in the How-To section! =)

Some one step up and call out ALL the ground spots... with pics.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Ok...

The arrow points to the thermostat housing behind and below the dizzy. You can't replace that one so easily because it's part of the harness. For the tranny/clutch arm ground I used a hole from the battery tray, I guess if your battery is in the stock position you would use the stock ground point. It doesn't matter, as long as it's on the frame.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Good stuff downest, thank you. That's such an easy job that I may do it just because of that and to make sure my grounds are solid in place.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
downest said:
phoenix_iii said:
downest said:
The valve cover ground has a smaller wire that goes to the bolt on the front as well.
Yes I see that. For completeness the host of that pic should make another callout to it. =)
Huh?
I think he means re-do the pic with another small circle around the smaller gauge wire that goes to the valve cover. i think the pic is great as is.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Full size it, you can definitely see it ;) Anyway it should be easy since you will be replacing all the stock ones, just see where they go, that's what I did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts