Honda CRX Forum banner

Rewiring power from fusebox to stereo!

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  invalidcomfort 
#1 ·
I'm incredibly stuck, the doods who had my car before hand removed the stock hookup, and I can not find anything about rewiring the power for a stereo.

I got a hayes manual today, hoping that it would show how from there, but no luck :(.

Pictures would be awesome if anyone could find them. I'd like to have some tunes ASAP, so any help or leads in a general direction would be amazing.

I've got 14 gauge wire and I'm sure I could find or pickup any connectors that will be needed.

Let's get the solved, please!

`Johnathon

#2 ·
So, you're looking for a source of 12 volt power? I know where you can find it :p

If you lay down in your car, head under the dash, feet hanging out the door, you'll see approximately this:

Obviously you won't have a lot of the extra wires that I've added to my car, or that neon tube. But we're just looking at the fuse box here.

In the pic, you see two wires which I have labeled, #1 and #2. They are both sources of 12 volt power. #1 only has power when the ignition key is in the ACC or ON position. #2 always has power. Whichever one you want to use, you'll need a standard 1/4" female spade connector to access the fuse box's male spade connector, which is hiding up in each of those grey plastic squares.

#3 ·
i've got a quick questioinkinda along the same lines, i got anxious to put my stereo in my rex for some reason :roll: and i chopped the harness, is there anyway to rewire the stock clip? i still have it and i want to put it back in

#4 ·
shadowcrx said:
i've got a quick questioinkinda along the same lines, i got anxious to put my stereo in my rex for some reason :roll: and i chopped the harness, is there anyway to rewire the stock clip? i still have it and i want to put it back in
You can, but it's tedious work. You need to de-pin the stock clip (a straightened paper clip works well), attach the pin to the cut wire, and slide it back into the clip. And don't de-pin the clip all at once, or you'll forget which wire goes where.

Or, if the wires on the back of the clip are long enough, just match up the colors of the wires and splice them together.

#5 ·
jfrolang said:
shadowcrx said:
You can, but it's tedious work. You need to de-pin the stock clip (a straightened paper clip works well), attach the pin to the cut wire, and slide it back into the clip. And don't de-pin the clip all at once, or you'll forget which wire goes where.

Or, if the wires on the back of the clip are long enough, just match up the colors of the wires and splice them together.
i would have done the later of the 2 but i cut them close, so just push them out from the connection side with a paper clip?, can i find new pins anywhere?

#6 ·
You won't be able to just "push them out." If you look at the clip, and jiggle the wires around a little bit, you'll see that the metal pins have a small retainer that needs to be pushed down as you pull the wires out the back. That's what the paper clip is for. The pins are re-usable, after you've attached them to the wires, they'll just slide into the clip and snap back into place.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind when I build mine up :).

I found the old harness (cut of course) hidden behind the dash. I thought it was a part to the cigarette lighter, but I decided to pull on it for a change.

From there, I just went and bought some male female fully insulted quick disconnects, and matched up to what goes where. Now I have noise (WOOT).

And just two rear speakers.

A question for you, my roommate got me some speakers, but they are too big radius wise. Is it possible to install the speaker between the baffle and the door without cutting any part of the baffle? I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I have the time to take the door panels off.

And then i get to install a new alternator! (hehehe)

#12 ·
I have no clue what brand they are.

I just took off the baffels and wiggled them into place. The fit is so tight that i didn't have to screw them in. It works in a pinch, until I can get a decent set of speakers that fit the right way. I wasn't even thinking about dirlling into the door. (The thought of actually scares me).

#14 ·
I don't know.

I've got another problem though, bow for some reason when the load shifts, it kills the power to the speakers, so the sound just quits out.

When the load shifts on the front wheels, it plays,
WHen the load shifts on the rear whells, it's silent, but still playing

Are there any connectors or any other ideas that anybody has?

I'd like to be able to enjoy what i installed :(.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.