Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Its a tech question but not about a CRX so here goes.

I got riding mower last week. Basically my bro-inlaw is moving and sold me all his tools and this mower for $200. I could jump the solenoid and it would run fine. I replaced the switch and the solenoid and it was having an intermitent start problem. Then it just quit

I got looking closer today and the starter where the battery connect to is plastic and cracked. The nut the battery hooks to is spinning. Explains the intermitent problem. Now the cheapest I can find a starter is in the $100 range ( I only paid $60 for my honda one :shock: ).

Now I really dont want to drop $100 on this when I'm not 100% sure if it will fix it. I dont really NEED a riding mower but it would be nice.

Is there a way to make an electric start a pull start? Or would it not be cost effective if I could.

Now I looked on ebay and this engine just sold for $255.52 +100 shipping, so what do you guys think.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I work as a mechanic at an outdoor power equipment sales/service business. Unfortunately most starters for briggs, kohler, etc are $100 or more (sometimes waaay more). If just the bottom commutator case is broken, it may be available separately from the magnets / amature / bendix and cost well less.

What is the brand, model, and spec/serial number of the engine? I can look it up and find what your options are. The I.D. numbers should be on a plate/sticker somewhere on the engine shrouding or stamped into the flywheel shroud.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its model # 286707
type 0147 01
code 91121311

Thats what is on top of the engine. Its a 12.5hp I/C quiet engine.

Here is a pic of the broken part.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
I vote sell it. Make some money for your CRX or whatever else you need it for. Get the exercise and mow it with the push mower. Of course, I don't know how big your yard is either. But that's probably what I would do.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the yard is pushmowable thats for sure. the main problem is I cant do it. Poison Ivy is all over the place and I cant kill it all ( ive tried ). I am horribly allergic to it. I got some on me last year and my legs from foot to knee looked like 3rd degree burns, and it actually scarred my legs. My g/f doesnt mind mowing it, doesnt bother her, just takes her forever to get up and do it :lol:

I called around today and the starter is $143 locally. Im going to call a place monday that fixes starters and alternators and see if he can fix it.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
i'll look up those numbers at work monday and see what's available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts