Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all set to order my rod bearings through Honda tonight, but I can't figure out the colour codes. I got the letters/numbers off my crank and rods, and I found how to figure out what "colour" bearings I need. The problem is, Honda's online thing only lists the letters, A-G. Do I just order the letter of the bearing I need? Does it not matter? The differences between the colour codes for each letter is 0.0002"-0.0003", and the tolerance in the manual is 0.0007". I know I should know this, but I've always used ACL bearings, which are one size, and until now they've always worked. I want to get the proper bearings because the OEM ones SHOULD be better if they are matched, since the ACL are not.

For what it's worth, my rods are all "3", and the crank is C3, B3, B3, C3. I really want to get this stuff ASAP, it would be great if someone could help me out.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I re-read that and I think it might be a little confusing (not the main problem about sizing, but what I meant about the tolerances).

To clarify:

Each combination has a letter and number, together they correspond to a colour/size. For example:

some dude on Honda Tech said:
"A"
1= red
2= pink
3= yellow
4= green

"B"
1= pink
2= yellow
3= green
4= brown

"C"
1=yellow
2= green
3= brown
4= black

"D"
1= green
2= brown
3= black
4= blue
What I meant was that the differences between all the numbers in each letter is a total of 0.0003" or 0.0004" (ie, blue to green, black to yellow etc); I didn't mean between each different colour. The total difference between the largest and smallest (blue and red) is 0.0007", which happens to be the tolerance in the manual.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone cares (which it doesn't seem like) and to have it on record... when you order from Honda, select the letter of the bearing you need and put the colours in the comment box. I don't know why they do that, but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
downest said:
If anyone cares (which it doesn't seem like) and to have it on record... when you order from Honda, select the letter of the bearing you need and put the colours in the comment box. I don't know why they do that, but that's the way it is.
I just got the one size Federal Mogul ones. (could not get the ACL ones) then I plastic gauged them and they were all within specs.
My expert engine builder friend says it does not matter as long as within specs.
Federal Mogul is made in Japan and I would not be surprised if they are an OEM company. Alternative is Clevite 77's which are very easy to come by. A set of 4 or any of these is about 30 bucks.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
When I just took mine off I couldnt find the color code either. Its on the block for the mains, but were talking rods.
Do you use assembly oil or something else? Did you replace the rod bolts or get ARP's?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Richrowa said:
When I just took mine off I couldnt find the color code either. Its on the block for the mains, but were talking rods.
Do you use assembly oil or something else? Did you replace the rod bolts or get ARP's?
What engine do you have? Yes, I use ARP rod bolts.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Im doing the CRV/Vtec with a 1998 JDM B20b engine B16a head. I got it from Hmotorsonline. It was in pristine shape. I really didnt even have to do many things but I am going to do the unheard of, turbo a b20, relatively low boost of less than 15psi, so I tore it down to put in JE pistons, Golden eagle rods, GSR oil pump and water pump, and while I was there I balanced the crank, (the new pistons and rods weighed over 50 grams more than the stock!), and got new mains bearings and rod bearings.
I will send pics when I am further along.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Also I use a mixture of about 1/2 motor oil and 1/2 STP for assembly.
(not on the bolts of course!) I use either 30weight or the ARP lube but take into account what lube I use when I torque it. (less with the arp lube)

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the B series, the letters are on the engine under the flywheel, cast into the block. I think the numbers are on the crank... something like that, it's in the FSM. For the D, the letters are on the crank and the numbers are on the rods, half on the rod half on the cap, so they make a number when you put them together.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
downest said:
For the B series, the letters are on the engine under the flywheel, cast into the block. I think the numbers are on the crank... something like that, it's in the FSM. For the D, the letters are on the crank and the numbers are on the rods, half on the rod half on the cap, so they make a number when you put them together.
Interesting. Yeah I found the numbers on the block I think it was on the oil pan side, but like I said, I platic gauged them all and it was cool.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update... I *finally* got my parts today, and of course it's not going smoothly. Apparently from Honda, one part number is one bearing, meaning you need to order 2 for every rod, total 8, not total 4. I don't know who would order just one half of what they need for one... but whatever... so I need 4 more pieces to put my engine back together.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BrandonScullion said:
Would you mind posting how much you are spending in total on all of your bearings?

thanks

are they much more than the aftermarket?

Did you get them from Majestic?

THANKS
I got them from Majestic, so whatever that costs, I don't remember offhand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.