1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some advice. Here are some pics of my car:
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~hays/crx/

If you're on a slow connection, see the pics in the "small" folder

I'm planning on taking it to a body shop to get the metal replaced and repainted--so how crazy am I?

I'm guessing that the rocker and quarter on the passenger side are basically in the same or better shape, but I'll know for sure the next warmish weekend.

On the driver's side, the rocker seems solid except for the last 6-8". There are some small (dime sized spots on the top, but I think that's working it's way down. There's also a spot on the underside that looks like it started at one of those expansion fittings that hold the plastic down. There's some rust at the front of the rocket panel, but that so far looks like exterior rust (from damage of me hitting things--curbs, logs, big rocks, etc.)

Seems like the rust is around the seam of the rear wheel wells but that's all pretty solid, except at the bottom front and back. The jack points are still solid, and the pan looks pretty good to me.

It all looks doable to me, at least in terms of getting 5+ more years out of it. So am I completely nuts, or just a little insane?

Also, would it make more sense to replace the quarters with a set of the civic ones floating around on ebay or the like, or to repair the existing?

tia for any advice,
bil

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rex2nr said:
I was looking at your car yesterday, and I don't think you're nuts at all. The car looks, from the pictures, very saveable.
Thanks for the feedback. I felt much better after getting the carpet out and not finding any interior rust in the pan. The metal in the console had some surface rust, as did the bracket for the shift cover (that from fast food salt, I think). Celebrated by replacing the stereo and rear speakers (nothing fancy, a panasonic 1900mp and some kickers). The prior unit worked, but didn't have an aux input for the pod and the led had failed, so I had to navigate the menus by memory.

After the rain last night, looks like I got the leak in the roof fixed, and I'm close on the taillight leak. So far so good....

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
A lot of hte tail light leaks are due to dry rotted tail light gaskets. I too had to track down a rear hatch/tail light leak, and that's what it ended up being. Majestic or your local stealership should have them fairly cheap.

I don't think you're crazy at all for restoring it. Looks to be in a lot better shape than a lot of the cars I put money into.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mithuth said:
A lot of hte tail light leaks are due to dry rotted tail light gaskets. I too had to track down a rear hatch/tail light leak, and that's what it ended up being. Majestic or your local stealership should have them fairly cheap.

I don't think you're crazy at all for restoring it. Looks to be in a lot better shape than a lot of the cars I put money into.
Thanks. I got the leak down to a trickle on the first pass with some silicone, but I don't want to over do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same exact problem with the rust...I don't think you're crazy. I had mine done and glad I did. BTW, make sure the shop burns out all that foam crap in the wheel wells which I was told was the likely culprit in the first place. Supposedly it was supposed to keep out moisture (somehow), but obviously it was just a bad design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.