Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I use my rear speakers only...and I dont want to add any to the front or add on a subwoofer (my amp is only two channels, and I want to keep things simple and light for autox purposes).

Currently my system consists of a small 2-channel 120w amp from kicker with a direct connection from my portable mp3 player, and a $40 pair of Pioneer 6.5inch 2-way speakers in the back.

The pioneers sound great with extremely clear and crisp highs (sometimes harsh) but the mids and lows are somewhat lacking.

I'd like to know if I can expect to get better mids and lows from 6x9s, and if anyone can show a picture of exactly how 6x9s fit into the speaker holes on a 2g crx. I'd like to spend less than $150 on the speakers so recommendations in that price range are welcome.

·
Registered
32 Posts
^^^^

I agree. There's a misconception about 6x9. They were invented by car companies to fit the largest speaker in the rear deck of a car. They actually have a lower quality than just going with 6-1/2" round.

As for mid-bass, you've come across the hardest part of car audio. The most common complaint is lack of mid-bass (around 150 - 800 hz).Unfortunately, to really get good mid-bass, it requires a top shelf speaker and good clean power behind it.

One thing about your post that I don't understand is why you're putting all the sound behind you? The soundstage should actually be in front. (when do you go to a concert and face away from the stage?)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it comes down to a lot of factors related to this being a tracked car and the amount of effort I'm willing to put into wiring, but like I said before, I dont have any problems with clarity or staging at all... the rear speakers in a crx are pointing almost straight at my head from a couple of feet away. The car is filled with sound.

Now if you say that my problems with mid-bass frequencies would be solved by moving the 6-1/2s from the rear to the doors, I'd consider it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, it certainly would improve it, but only by so much (maybe 40% increase). The door actually works as a 'box' for the speakers. I'm not sure what size are stock (my 87 is 4" up front), but I'm sure you can fabricate something to accomodate larger sizes. However, considering you said you wanted minimal effort, you may be suited to just get a small sealed 8" sub. It won't weigh you down much and it will certainly take the bass load off the mains.

·
Registered
112 Posts
the easyest thing to do is go get some foam baskets from your local stereo store and mount the rear speakers in them, in the stock location, i've used these in the doors of mine for years and they work great and help with bass responce ,don't bother with 6x9's in the rear they don't fit and still won't sound any better.another option is to get a set of 5.25 mid bass and mount them in the door in the same foam baskets

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's interesting, I've never heard of these. Doing a google search didnt help any either.

Are they like small bowl-like enclosures for the speakers?

EDIT: I think I found them... speaker baffles.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
yeah, usually the comapny that makes them is XTC. make sure when you use them to poke som eholes in them though, if you completely seal them, your bass response goes to 0. they are designed to weatherproof your speaker.

[email protected]

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
The guy I sold my past CRX too, just put in a bazooka bass tube. Although at first I didn't think anything about them, after hearing it, finding out how much it cost, and saw how accessible it is, I am very interested in getting one.
He got his from Wal-Mart and it comes with an integrated amp...for around $100. The best part is that where the wires plug in, it's just a clip that makes it easy to remove for track days. It added some good mid/low bass and I thought it sounded really good. It wasn't too heavy or big like other boxes I've seen either. Just a thought...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its me DUB said:
The guy I sold my past CRX too, just put in a bazooka bass tube. Although at first I didn't think anything about them, after hearing it, finding out how much it cost, and saw how accessible it is, I am very interested in getting one.
He got his from Wal-Mart and it comes with an integrated amp...for around $100. The best part is that where the wires plug in, it's just a clip that makes it easy to remove for track days. It added some good mid/low bass and I thought it sounded really good. It wasn't too heavy or big like other boxes I've seen either. Just a thought...
Just wondering, where did he place the bazooka bass tube in his car?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm, I just might look into the bazooka's. Honestly I'm pretty easy to please so it should work for me, and its VERY important that I can remove it for track days. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Make sure you face the speaker towards the rear of the car. The sound will reverberate off the back, making it seem louder. An old friend of mind had a CRX that I installed a tube in. I placed it to the driver's side and just secured a couple of hooks on one side, with 2 latches on the other. It was a snap to put in and take out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.