Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We owe about $10K on a 2001 Toyota Sienna bought used. It has the engine that gets sludged up easily due to poor design (class action pending) so it we had the engine cleaned once a couple of years ago under warranty. Now it is puffing blue smoke again in the morning. If it isn't covered under warranty (I think they may try to blame us), it will be 2-3 grand to clean it. It also is time for the whole timing belt routine to the tune of $950. To top it off, my wife had an accident and it will take $3 to $5K to fix that! Eff it. I should have bought a Honda.

1) We have the cash to pay this off. How would you get the maximum price for the vehicle "as is"?

2) How would I get a new Odyssey for cash as cheaply as possible? (Buy out of town, etc?)

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
Charles said:
We owe about $10K on a 2001 Toyota Sienna bought used. It has the engine that gets sludged up easily due to poor design (class action pending) so it we had the engine cleaned once a couple of years ago under warranty. Now it is puffing blue smoke again in the morning. If it isn't covered under warranty (I think they may try to blame us), it will be 2-3 grand to clean it. It also is time for the whole timing belt routine to the tune of $950. To top it off, my wife had an accident and it will take $3 to $5K to fix that! Eff it. I should have bought a Honda.

1) We have the cash to pay this off. How would you get the maximum price for the vehicle "as is"?

2) How would I get a new Odyssey for cash as cheaply as possible? (Buy out of town, etc?)
1.Based on your description of the Sienna, you def will not get as much as you would like to get from it.
Cut your losses, advertise it, clean it up and pull what you can from it.

2.As for an Odyssey, looking to get a BRAND NEW one or something older?
It is a Honda, so going with something that is clean and somewhat older will save you some cash. As for getting one as cheap as possible, beinga Honda, your going to pay for it, but i would say shop around.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
crxgator said:
id trade it into a honda dealer that way you dont screw over some average joe who needs a car for his family...
Excellent point. I definitely wouldn't want to unload this lemon on someone who will know it came from you. Sadly it sounds like you're not going to get much in trade for it. But that's life....sometimes (esp. with vehicles) you just accept the loss......

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
crxgator said:
id trade it into a honda dealer that way you dont screw over some average joe who needs a car for his family...
That is even a better idea.
You may not be getting what you want or all you could for it, but at least it will be out of your hands.
Plus the fact that you would not be passing off a lemon to someone who really needs a vehicle.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
My mom has a 2006 sienna and is not very pleased with it either. Toyota has had about 5 recalls for it(atleast they recall it and not brush it off like there is no problem). There are a couple of different rattles that are bad. I'm not a fan of drive by wire either. If you try to accelerate vary hard from a stop the van jurks bad into gear.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Way back when I was in high school, my mother was looking for a mini-van. After looking at pretty much everything, she liked the Honda and Toyota the best, but they both had a 6 month waiting list in our area. We ended up getting [gasp] a Dodge Caravan V6, which somehow didn't have any problems for 5 or 6 years until we got the TSX. I'm surprised the Toyota has so many problems, usually Toyota cars are great.

OT: My friend's mother has an older Previa, with a supercharged (factory!) 4ag red top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.