Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
If you hold the two next to each other, they place the shift knob in pretty much the same spot, but the double bend will tilt the knob forward considerably.

The 'proper' one for the CRX is the single bend, and its the one that feels the most natural to me... your mileage may vary depending on arm length 8)

Also, something else to consider is that you may have to get a different shifter boot, as it may pull it too much with the shifter coming up in a different angle/location

·
Registered
734 Posts
I might go dual bend if I was buying one...I dunno. I have an Integra Type-R shifter in my car (previous owner's work) so I'm not really in the market for one. I will, however, recommend the Skunk2 weighted shift knob. It's SUPER heavy for its size, and really persuades the shifter to fall right into gear with minimal effort, it makes it quite a bit smoother.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Sorry to threadjack but...
Are there any aftermarket shortshifters that also have a reduced upper stalk length? I guess I'm looking for somehting that is shorter above the pivot because I don't really feel that its so hard to shift. I'm not doing and road or rally racing for now, so a tall shifter is not important to me. Thoughts on that?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Get an OEM shifter from a Del Sol.... seriously ;)

And if you need it shorter than that, no, no one makes one, but that CAN be custom fabbed, and i have a couple of oem shifters laying around i think, just tell me how much shorter you want it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
just get the ebay stainless steel one. its got no bend .$25 . I just put one on my girlfriends crx. why do you need a bend anyways? I have a dual bend with a crazy angle on it, but only because the linkage I have was cut too short and sat the shifter too close to the radio.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
ComposiMo said:
Get an OEM shifter from a Del Sol.... seriously ;)

And if you need it shorter than that, no, no one makes one, but that CAN be custom fabbed, and i have a couple of oem shifters laying around i think, just tell me how much shorter you want it.
2" off the top and the usual 1/2" or whatever for the shorter throw on the bottom. How much do you want?

·
Registered
734 Posts
jfrolang said:
I believe you get what you pay for. $25 for an ebay shifter means it's cheap material, or improperly designed/manufactured. No thanks.
Not sure that's entirely true...there's certainly not a huge material cost for an item that size, and the manufacturing is pretty simple. A lot of times, a higher cost doesn't mean better materials, a better manufacturing process, or better design -- it just means higher profits. I'm not saying you don't get a better shifter from skunk2 as compared to eBay, but there is definitely a law of dimisishing returns that comes into play at some point...is a $200 shifter 8 times better than a $25 shifter? "Getting what you pay for" works that way, too.

I don't think $80 jeans from Abercrombie are a whole lot "better" than $20 Wranglers, and I certainly don't think they cost much more to make...so why do they cost so much more? To cover the cost of advertising and overhead, to turn a bigger profit, and most importantly, because people are willing to pay that much. The eBay shifter may be crap, but I don't dismiss it based solely on the price...

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I had a "titanium" ebay shifter snap in half on me the very day i installed it. Looked like poorly cast aluminum to me, maybe even pot metal, with a cheap coating.
I agree that high priced stuff isn't always that much better, but when there is no warranty: let the buyer beware.

·
Registered
734 Posts
PHATpinoy said:
Off topic, but I was thinking of getting a short shifter and i came across the megan shortshifter. Anyone have it on there car? pros and cons?

http://www.meganracing.com/products/pro ... 8&catid=71
General consensus on Megan's stuff on honda-tech(their header, mostly) is that it's pretty damn good for being slightly off-brand eBay stuff. I have no doubt that there's crap on eBay, BTW, and plenty of it -- but I'd gladly pick up a Megan Racing shifter as compared to a Skunk2 if it was substantially cheaper (it is) and I read good things about it.

I wouldn't give up my Skunk2 shift knob, though...it's pretty ;)

If I had unlimited funds, I might always pop for the name brand...as I don't, and my car is 15 years old and not exactly worth a lot of money itself, I look for cheaper ways to do what I want. Sometimes I go for the name brand stuff, sometimes I figure the cheap stuff will work basically just as well and decide to save some money that I can spend on something else. I understand that sometimes you want to KNOW something will work exactly as you expect (I wouldn't buy a generic supercharger), so I understand spending a premium for that confidence. It's hard for me personally to justify doing that for some items, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.