Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always ben intrested in getting a short shifter for my crx and like always i have a few questions.

1. i hear they can sometimes make it hard to get into gear
2. scale of 1 to 10 how easy is the installation cause i know you need to get under the car and mess with the shift linkage

anyone who has one in their rex your input would be appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
i put a short shifter in my civic and it was somewhat of a pain to get the bolts out because they were flat on the one side and mine spun but other than that not to bad and i dont know about it being hard to get into gear its just not as smooth as the stock one but i like the short one more.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I put one in my rex and my hatch. I used a b&m and a dc sports. The b&m is stainless steel and heavy and it sucked because it didn't have bearings included. The dc sports one is aluminum, my friend broke his in half...... but it does have bearings. Matrix makes one that is at stock height, which I wish I would have bought and it's the same price as the dc sports one. Most short shifters are actually shorter length as well which I think sucks because then I have to sit a little bit more to the side and forward to use the shifter, like I said before I wish I would have bought the matrix one.

They will make it harder to shift into gear on occassion. It changes the geometry so sometimes it gets a stiffer feel when trying to engage into a gear.

It's easy to install, you may have to cut off the piece of rod that is sticking out of the back of the stock shift linkage. I had to on both of mine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I installed a short shifter when I had my transmission out, installing a new clutch and flywheel.

I went with a short shifter from Skunk2. Nice thing about the Skunk2 is that it is stainless steel and includes the bearings. From what I remember it was about the same overall length as the stock shifter. I ended up paying about $140 for the short shifter, skunk2 shift knob, and energy suspension bushings.

Install is easy enough, no cutting or anything. It does help to have someone inside the vehicle though.

The feel is completely different from stock. When I first starting driving it I had to keep checking to make sure it was actually in gear. The throw is so short compared to stock. I noticed that I tended to slam into gears at first. But you get use to it pretty quick. Now shifting is nice and smooth. I've had no problem getting into gears once I got use to it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
As mentioned above, dont get the aluminum versions, theyll break in half,(It left me stranded) I have the B&M s-shaped shifter, and really like it. IMO the extra wieght gives you better leverage and helps you shift a lot better. Just make sure you get the little bushing from honda before you put it in.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Paul said:
I've always ben intrested in getting a short shifter for my crx and like always i have a few questions.

1. i hear they can sometimes make it hard to get into gear
2. scale of 1 to 10 how easy is the installation cause i know you need to get under the car and mess with the shift linkage

anyone who has one in their rex your input would be appreciated
The issue with short shifters has to do with the ergonomics of the short stick not just the mechanism. You have to lean to use them. Here is a link about an improved shifter that is not shorter. For road racing especially it seems to make sense to use a longer one. I agree the short shifter looks cool but maybe not so good.

http://www.fastlineperformance.com/shifter.htm

·
Registered
633 Posts
I make my own, so the only quality I have to worry about is my welding, which I don't have to worry about. :lol:

Same nice stock feel with a shorter throw. I hate those one's that have like 2 inches chopped off the top, those are like fighting to get it in and out of gear.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've also had a B&M in one of my cars for years, I like it too. No bearing but it has a similar bushing like stock, I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I haven't looked at my b&m in a while but if I remember right the metal bushing that the bolt goes through has 4 o-rings around it where it goes inside/through the shifter, it's gotta be lubed.
I think I've had mine since 1999, it's still fine.

I also haven't seen any of the 15+year old stock lower shifter bushings go bad either. Are those the ones that suck?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I got a B&M from a place and it didnt come with anything but the shifter and I couldnt find anything that fit it. So I started to make the whole bigger to fit the stock parts in and to this day that crap sits in my garage and untouched. It will probably stay that way too.

Don't go with b&m :nono:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just go with Skunk2. You may pay a little more but the quality is definately there and installation took about 10 minutes. Not a problem since.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
joshman said:
Just go with Skunk2. You may pay a little more but the quality is definately there and installation took about 10 minutes. Not a problem since.
little more???Try about 70 dollars more!! I got my b&m s-shaped shifter for 45 and I priced the skunk 2 at 115..If you dont believe me check each shifters' prices on ebay...

Wasuri said:
I got a B&M from a place and it didnt come with anything but the shifter and I couldnt find anything that fit it. So I started to make the whole bigger to fit the stock parts in and to this day that crap sits in my garage and untouched. It will probably stay that way too.
come on.... :frusty:

you did know you have to use the STOCK shifter bushing(a metal sleeve with grooves in it that the orings fit into) didnt you???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.