Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my stock stick with a short throw shifter and i was wondering if there are any mods that i need to make for it to work. I have an '88 DX with stock engine and tranny....bought the shifter before i realized that i wasn't going to be swapping out my engine and tranny but i would still like to put it in....any ideas?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooohhh, i kind of forget.....i ordered it off ebay and i can't look at it because i don't get to even look or touch my car until i get back home from Iraq :cry: but only a couple more months and then she's all mine!!!!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
If it was an ebay cheapie then beware. They are cheaply cast metal and often break due to internal voids. Don't let the cheap coating fool you.
Or maybe it was a skunk or b&m brand... if so then install and enjoy.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Beware of the EBAY garbage. They lack in quality. A Skunk 2 or B&M (what I have) are definitly worth there price. I've reffed on my B&M and it always takes it like a champ. Skunk 2 makes there's out of steel not aluminum I beleive, much higher strength.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have an ebay cheapo . .. . and yeah its crappy. . . . but i dont bang on it that hard. . . .and when it does brake i will curse all crappy ebay shifters. . . .but for now. . . . . it works. . . . .not really a big deal to change. . . . . but yeah. . . . for 40 bux. . . . the brand name one is a good deal . . .

as for fitment. . . .the only thing you " may" runtnto is the shifter sticks down farther and my rub on the top of your exhaust pipe a little. . . . .sometimes you can tewak the top hanger nubs down a little to clear it. . . . sometimes you have to clearance the exh pipe a little bit.. . . . its not a huge deal . . . .but something to be aware of. .

chris

·
Registered
633 Posts
Charles said:
Hell, just get the Shorte brand. Nice steel shifter custom made to your specs.
lol, Right now I don't even have time to make one for my new crx, and a friend I owe one to.
Here's the one I made for Charles, the bottom one, top is a stock one.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It is shorter, but also about an inch back and a bit to the left I believe. I sit further back than your average Japanese driver. Now it is much more comfortable because my arm is not as extended in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
yeah my shifter sits up right next to the steering wheel. between the weighted-ness of it, the ultra smooth delrin bushings, and the rotatability of the main shaft..its by far the nices shifter Ive ever used.

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,567 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
i used to have an ebay short throw on my 95 civic with a ls. i never had any problems breaking it in half... i always figured the point of a short throw shifter is so you dont' have to slam gears to shift quickly.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
it makes sense that you want the shifter close to the location wehre your hands normally are. however i don't buy this mumbo jumbo about the increased weight being deireable. for those of us modifying our cars motors and suspensions, i doubt that nvh through the shifter is really a big deal. plus, its a shifter not an armrest. i do no think that increased weight really helps shifting that much more, i think the weight difference between the two is two small to make any substantial arguement for benefiting from inertia or something like that.
all said and done, i might buy one down the road when i have 150 bucks lying around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.