Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a few rust spots that concern me on the CRX I am looking to buy.
What I'm asking, is should I bother sanding, patching, repainting, or just sawsall it out and have some metal weleded in?

Drivers/passenger rockers, and the front driver's side strut tower. Here's some pics.

Strut tower

Passenger Rocker

Driver's rocker

and for good measure, here's the gas door and rear quearters:

So what do you think, grind away with some air tools, or have the metal replaced?

·
Registered
779 Posts
You will need new rocker, quarters and adleast take the rust off the strut towers, and fill any voids or now spots with fresh metal. It don't have to be pretty, just functional...anything is better then a rusted thru strut tower...which is what you have.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mattminerDOTcom said:
I bet thats just surface type rust on the shock tower. I quick hit with a wire wheel will break off teh loose stuff and let you know where you stand.

[email protected]
It is. Afer I snapped the pics, I used my brass brush to scuff some of it, it's just surface rust. I'll scuff the hell out of it, and blast it with some primer and POR15.

As for the rockers, it looks like I'll need at least a driver's rocker. It is surface rust too, but its' deep into the surface and should be replaced.

It's a good excuse to buy some air tools and learn to weld. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Look underneath at the jacking points before you try to jack up the car. With that much rot in the rocker, the seam where the floor pan meets the rockers ma be rusty and rotted, i've seen it before. Man, I'd say go find another crx, or another shell...

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jmart said:
Look underneath at the jacking points before you try to jack up the car. With that much rot in the rocker, the seam where the floor pan meets the rockers ma be rusty and rotted, i've seen it before. Man, I'd say go find another crx, or another shell...
The floor boards are solid. Fixing the rocker should be simple enough. I can also put some reinforced "C" channel along the rockers after I replace them so they're stronger.

I dont see giving up over a bad rocker.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
jmart said:
I have personally seen a crx drop straight through the jackstand right in front of me.

Good thing the wheels weren't off yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.