Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a 91’ HF. New to this so just need some advice. New to the group but love crx’s. The crx doesn’t have the original engine anymore after it blew when the family was taking it down here from Michigan years ago, was worried about rust but doesn’t seem to be any other than a bit of surface rust on the hatch. They have an engine to go with it which is a D15b8 along with a trans he bought it from a guy with several crx’s and it was one of his spare engines. Also comes with 2 blocks one is a d16y8 with the crank. Has old rods and pistons. Other one is a d15b6 block and crank as well. He has a new set of bearings pistons and rings just not put in. Interior is practically new looks great with electric windows. price is $2500, thoughts?

· Registered
176 Posts
Thinking about buying a 91’ HF. New to this so just need some advice. New to the group but love crx’s. The crx doesn’t have the original engine anymore after it blew when the family was taking it down here from Michigan years ago, was worried about rust but doesn’t seem to be any other than a bit of surface rust on the hatch. They have an engine to go with it which is a D15b8 along with a trans he bought it from a guy with several crx’s and it was one of his spare engines. Also comes with 2 blocks one is a d16y8 with the crank. Has old rods and pistons. Other one is a d15b6 block and crank as well. He has a new set of bearings pistons and rings just not put in. Interior is practically new looks great with electric windows. price is $2500, thoughts?
So the car has been sitting for years, comes with 1 engine and tranny that may work, and 2 blocks and parts. Curious why current owner has not got the car running for years.
The main thing is the rust factor. Coming from Michigan, I would say it would have rust issues.
A clean 91 HF can be a good driver if you swap in a decent motor and tranny. Also depends on your mechanic ability. If you have to pay someone to make it all work, that would get expensive, if the motor and tranny is good and you can do the work, then 2500 may not be too bad.
If too much rust, pass on it.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the car has been sitting for years, comes with 1 engine and tranny that may work, and 2 blocks and parts. Curious why current owner has not got the car running for years.
The main thing is the rust factor. Coming from Michigan, I would say it would have rust issues.
A clean 91 HF can be a good driver if you swap in a decent motor and tranny. Also depends on your mechanic ability. If you have to pay someone to make it all work, that would get expensive, if the motor and tranny is good and you can do the work, then 2500 may not be too bad.
If too much rust, pass on it.
Yea I'm hoping to get this to drive as a daily as well as learn on it. I have lots of people that can help me if I really do need the help. I have some mechanic ability just never done a task this big so I understand it'll be a lot. Yea I'm going to check it out in the next couple of weeks but the guy that has it says he didn't see any rust and he's pretty sure it was garage kept while in Michigan. Is there a specific place to check for rust or just checking generally on the underbody?

· Registered
176 Posts
Yea I'm hoping to get this to drive as a daily as well as learn on it. I have lots of people that can help me if I really do need the help. I have some mechanic ability just never done a task this big so I understand it'll be a lot. Yea I'm going to check it out in the next couple of weeks but the guy that has it says he didn't see any rust and he's pretty sure it was garage kept while in Michigan. Is there a specific place to check for rust or just checking generally on the underbody?
Rust areas, top of fenders, rear wheel wells around bumper attachment, jack areas, panels at bottom of fenders front and rear, inside front wheel wells body side, door hinges, under lower side door molding. These areas is a start and most common rust spots.
Dropping the D15 motor and matching tranny should be pretty straight forward. Wiring harness may post some issues. So easy I'd wonder why the seller has not done that already rather than having the car sit for years. Really it's a weekend job. I'd wonder how good the d15 really is.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rust areas, top of fenders, rear wheel wells around bumper attachment, jack areas, panels at bottom of fenders front and rear, inside front wheel wells body side, door hinges, under lower side door molding. These areas is a start and most common rust spots.
Dropping the D15 motor and matching tranny should be pretty straight forward. Wiring harness may post some issues. So easy I'd wonder why the seller has not done that already rather than having the car sit for years. Really it's a weekend job. I'd wonder how good the d15 really is.
Well the guy said he's had it for not even a year so I know it's been sitting for that long and not sure how much it was driven before the engine blew in Michigan or if it was driven much at all. The guy had said he just didn't have much time to work on it plus he was keeping it at his parents and they were selling their home. He had also just never put that engine in because he was going to try and take the other head and block and make an engine for a turbo is what he told me.

· Registered
2 Posts
When it comes to buying a 1991 Honda CRX HF, there are a few things to consider. First, it's important to note that the CRX doesn't have its original engine anymore, which could be a concern if you're looking for a completely original car. However, the seller does have an engine to go with it (a D15b8) and the transmission, which is a good sign. Additionally, the fact that the seller has 2 extra blocks (a D16y8 and a D15b6) with cranks, and a new set of bearings, pistons, and rings is a positive sign. This means that you have the potential for a lot of options and upgrades with this car :)

When it comes to rust, the seller mentions that there is only a bit of surface rust on the hatch, which is a good sign. However, it is always recommended to inspect the car thoroughly, especially the undercarriage, before making a purchase.

The interior of the car is said to be practically new and looks great with electric windows. This is a positive sign and can be a major plus for this car.

The price of $2500 seems to be fair, however, it is always recommended to check the market prices, you could use the websites which deploy strategies like map pricing too.

It seems like this 1991 Honda CRX HF could be a great buy for someone who is new to CRXs and is looking for a car with a lot of potential for upgrades. However, it's important to thoroughly inspect the car and do your research on market prices before making a decision :cool:

· Registered
20,448 Posts
A lot of red flags here, especially if you're not mechanically inclined.
The fact it has power windows worries me, they didn't come like that from the factory, so I would be worried about the install work and wiring.
The fact you have all these engines and transmissions, but the car doesn't seem to run is an issue with me as well.
When you say "down here from Michigan", where is down here? If the car was a Michigan car, I would check every panel on this car for corrosion, as these cars can hide it pretty well.
All in all, I'd say this is a $1k car and parts, based on the headache it sounds like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts