Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 89 CRX Si with a mini me. should i go for a DOHC or just turbo what ive got? how many lbs of boost would my D15B7 hold? and what would be the power gain? if anyone has any input, let me know. thanx

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
i dont know squat about turbos other than th basic idea of how they work......but i think if u can find someone who can help u with the setup i bet u could make some decent power gains.......plus its cool.......not everyone can say their car is turbo'd.......but this all assuming u have the money for it.......dont go blowing the bank on one project

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
What is the setup of your mini-me, what head? You seem to have a d15b7 block.

Ive been digging at this kind of setup for awhile now, so I might be able to help. That and ollie on here runs a turbo mini me.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
cashkidd720 said:
i have an 89 CRX Si with a mini me. should i go for a DOHC or just turbo what ive got? how many lbs of boost would my D15B7 hold? and what would be the power gain? if anyone has any input, let me know. thanx
None of these question have a definate answer. and it is your car do what YOU want with it. not some people on a forum that you hardly know. . If you want a turbo get a turbo. if you want a 2 cammer then get one of them. .

there is allot of good info to be found on this board and for more indepth info on turbo building. . . check out
http://www.homemadeturbo.com

There is no answer like " your d15b7 will hold 19 pounds of boost before grenading the head through the hood.."

It is all going to depend on how well the engine is built and how well it is tuned. . and how hard you beat on it. .

On a stock engine or a used motor that you are just going to turbo. I would suggest starting out with some really low boost. . . and working from there. . I know a guy here. . With a 20 something pound boost DSM car. . . .that never seems to run for more than a few miles at a time on any given engine build. . . . so you can clearly see that stuffing huge amounts of boost onto an engine. .. . is not going to yield nothign but scrap metal in the end . .

The mini me you have is not going to be a great cantidate for a boosting application. . .with its already RAISED compression. .. you might want to do some more research on that. . .. as well. . .
Good luck to ya.. . and feel free to ask lots of questions there are alot of turbo guru's here that I am sure can help you out. . .

Chris

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
with a stock d15b7 block and z6 head his compression is only about 9.8:1
Which isnt tooo bad, but it means you wont be able to run to much boost.

Most stock d16 blocks can take about 225whp.(pending the tune and how much you beat it) With a d15 mini me you might get by with 200whp. Just depends on how good of shape the block is in and how many miles.

I'd seriously recommend getting a d16 block and rebuilding or building it.
That way you will have some sort of leeway in how hard you can push it.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
dont know if he still has it but this just popped up on out local classified ad site...

Garrett T25 Turbo - 01:04 pm, 10 January, 2007 - 1 views email the seller
For Sale: Garrett T25 Turbo

Will fit 95-99 Mitsubishi GST-GSX or can be universal if you get a custom exhaust manifold made or bought.

Normal Condition, is used but lacks shaft play which is what you want "NO SHAFT PLAY".

$125.00 OBO
Hastings, PA

here is the URL...

http://pubat0.pennswoods.net/cgi-bi...omotive_Parts_Accessories&adindex=98364044287

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I do not know the person selling this nor do i know if they are reputable or even willing to ship. . . so if you decide to do any dealing with them it is all your responsibility to make sure that you get a fiar deal and not jipped. . .

i think this is a guy i talked to on the phone and he was parting out a car with a blown motor. .. . . god knows what went through this. . .

who knows. . . .just thougt i would post it for ya.

chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
dollar 4 $ you can easily make more power with turbo than with B-swap.

however, the d15 just has such puny rods... I'm no expert, but I would think 175hp would be pushing it on a stock d15 bottom end if you plan on driving the car for more than a couple of months. if you HMT it, know how to find deals (and have the patience) you can achieve numbers like that for even $500 (that's probably almost double your current HP?)

-ic

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
toxiclows said:
The mini me you have is not going to be a great cantidate for a boosting application. . .with its already RAISED compression. .. you might want to do some more research on that. . .. as well. . .

Chris
Umm wha?
I run my mini-me boosted to 10 psi....I have had ZERO problems with mine.
Although I've never had mine dynoed I can embarrass GSR's regularly.
Agreed my compression is higher than a stock A6,but you tune for that sort of stuff.
If this guy wants to start boosting his MM I say like chris said start low boost and I'll add....get a GOOD fuel pump!
....Also read up on boosted applications not just what your little buddy told you was safe to do.
I started with a RHB5 on my A6 at 5 lbs when I was learning.I run a 14B at 10 lbs now.I will run a GT35R or similar at 15 to 20 psi when I finish my dart motor.
GL sir...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If you use the early 90's ls you do not need to change any wiring at all with the exception of possibly the dizzy plug. . theres a little here and there but nothing major..

you will need mounts a b series tranny axles and ecu plus shift linkage. . . . . In my opinion the ls is a great low buck swap.. and the stock ls engine is nice to trubo. . . . stronger rods than a d 16 or a d15 and the added torque over the d is what really makes it nice. . ..

I can get you ls engines and trannies if interested but i am not shipping them you would have to come to pa and pick it up. .

i might be a little biased as i have a ls in my hf and love it. .

the gas milage is nothing to worry about. . .

i have not noticed a difference. . . . but never really checked. . it is just like any other honda. . . . good on gas. . .

anything you do to an engine. . . to make power must do the same exact thing. . .. . . . burn fuel faster. . . . . in the terms of get it in butrn it get it out. . . . . .FAST. . . .

supercharger, turbo, nos, bigger cam, , , all those things that add power all have that one thing in common. . . . they allow you to burn more fuel in one way or another.. . .

there is a b16 swap article on this site in hthe how to section that wil explain all of the hardware aspects of doing the swap . . . .and of course there are all the friendly folk here to help you along too. . .

go for it . !!!!!!

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.