Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fooling around in the shop today, we have 4 CRXs, mine, blkjag's, stef's, and my friend Marty, our newest initiate. Marty got the red car from jmart a while back, and we are finishing it up today.
Anyway, we have an extra set of Si brakes lying around that are in line to go on stefs HF, since the A6 should be getting itself in there soon too. Jared (blkjag) has a se tof EX knuckles to go on his (my old) car, and we were just going to put the Si knuckles on the HF with the Si brakes that are on there. But... I'm wondering if we can just put the brakes we have on there, onto the HF knuckles instead of waiting until we get new pads/rotors for the EX setup on Jared's car.

·
Registered
317 Posts
the Si uses a slightly larger rotor and caliper.
I don't think that they will bolt up to the knuckle, but if you have all the parts, only way to be 100% sure is to try.
The Si knuckle is a little beefier than the HF's so i would reccomend using that anyway.

here are some comparison pics i took way back when i did my EX brakes.

This is the 3 rotor sizes

and here you can see how much heavier the EX knuckle is than the HF

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool man, thanks. Currently Jared has some old (89) DA calipers on his CRX with the Si knuckles. We are rebuilding the Si brakes and then swapping them on to the HF with the Si knuckles. We're waiting to get new pads for the EX knuckles on Jared's car.

Are the HF rears worth upgrading (to different drums)?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dude, where can i get those drums?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Those would look nice powdercoated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Actually I was thinking they'd look good polished. Whatever, you're wrong.
:lol: Kidding of course.

I think I saw them for around $65 each awhile back. I'd wonder about buying used drums unless you actually had the internal diameter so you weren't buying one that was already used up.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
xxpaulcpxx said:
I'd wonder about buying used drums unless you actually had the internal diameter so you weren't buying one that was already used up.
Many develop a lip in the lining as they wear, making them difficult to remove (the drum gets hung up on the brake shoes and there's no threaded holes to force them off). I would say simply have them turned to remove it, but I've heard from several people that you're not supposed to turn aluminum drums. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
317 Posts
not sure about that.
the bodies of the drums are aluminum, however the friction surface is cast iron. So i would imagine you could get them turned.

-H

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.