Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put GSR Brakes on the CRX and seem to have an odd side effect. My steering is SUPER light now. I basically have to always drive with two hands on the wheel because if I hit a big bump with one wheel it will wrench the wheel out of my hand. I've got Falken Azenis and ts basically made parking lots a joke though when almost stopped where before it took considerable effort to turn the wheel. Its made the ride much more 'clunky' it seems also. When I hit a crack in the pavement I hear it, where before I didn't... as much.

I did some quick measuring of the geometry when I had the two knuckles out and didn't notice any big diff there. I didn't have to adjust my tie rods either.

Has anyone else noticed this or have an answer as of why?

·
Registered
912 Posts
if you removed anything related to suspension during the install, it could affect the geometry. A very small difference can make a huge difference driving wise. I would definatly go get an alignment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I'm planning on getting new tires and an alignment this week. I'm down past the wear bars across the full tire and the inside is totally flat from some light camber wear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey all,
I'm looking to upgrade my brakes by switching to integra knuckles and I've heard a lot of different things about them. Sounds like Dilbert has some negative side effects, but maybe its just because of alignment etc...? I know that the geometry is only slightly different between the two components and I wanted to know if anyone can testify from experience how much those changes in dimensions affect performance especially long term (after an alignment etc...). Also I've heard that the effect of the 'teg knuckles on your suspensiion is smaller if your car is lower... ? If anyone can testify either way I'd really like to hear what they have to say.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
blkjag said:
hey all,
I'm looking to upgrade my brakes by switching to integra knuckles and I've heard a lot of different things about them. Sounds like Dilbert has some negative side effects, but maybe its just because of alignment etc...? I know that the geometry is only slightly different between the two components and I wanted to know if anyone can testify from experience how much those changes in dimensions affect performance especially long term (after an alignment etc...). Also I've heard that the effect of the 'teg knuckles on your suspensiion is smaller if your car is lower... ? If anyone can testify either way I'd really like to hear what they have to say.
Thanks!
Integra knuckles may cause a bit of negative camber when the suspension is at rest. However, the biggest differences will be felt when the suspension travels through it's full range of motion. (which can cause instability when going over bumps or cornering hard). You can correct the alignment when the suspension is at rest, but you will never be able to correct the geometric differences when the suspension moves through it's range of motion. Some say they feel no difference... however, the butt dyno is never as accurate as the laws of physics. Myself, I was not comfortable with the possible effects of this on the geometry, so I went with 1990 Civic EX knuckles which maintain the same geometry as the stock 88-91 CRX knuckles.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
There is an actual FACTUAL write up floating around the net (bookmarked on my dad's computer damnit!) where someone compared the EX, DA, and SiR knuckles. They used all sorts of tools and took pictures. It would be nice if someone could do that on here instead of specualting...
I think the difference came down to a slight camber issue because the DA knuckles are just under 1cm taller, but that's a non-issue if you have adjustable springs (as blkjag does).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, you're probably right about the DA knuckles only making a slight difference, but being the braking freak that I am I just picked up a set of EX's this after noon.... ShaZAM!!!
Man I was thrilled to run into these, you should have seen me in the juckyard.
BTW if anyone is interested in a single (passenger side) civic EX knuckle the jy had one (not a set for some reason, what a horrible waste). Let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Action auto - if you want one EX knuckle they had 3 so I posted a FS thread for the third one to see if anyone is interested. I'm keeping the other 2.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
ehhh, Action... lol. That place is shady, or at least used to be.

You should check out Bergen Auto if you need anything, about a half hour west of the city.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.