Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i mean that title quite sarcastically, since i got that "interesting" response from the last time i posted this...

So, the Carbon Fiber dash for the K24/ITB project car is finally completely done (actually, its been done for a while, i just haven't had time to get it from the guy.. hehe) This time, the gauge bezel is finished, the dash is completely finished, and the center console was re-covered to match the dash and gauge bezel (yea, you gotta have the CF weave MATCH... hehe)

Yeap, its all real CF:

So, heres the thing... if you LIKE overlayed Carbon Fiber, and like the fact that this one panel piece literally snap-fits over the dash, looks GREAT, and is super-sexy, then you'll like how easy it all works, and love the product and the idea of the product... even the new and improved cluster piece just snap-fits over the stock cluster bezel, and looks absolutely gorgeous.

If you HATE overlays, then this dash will still tickle your fancy, because it could also be used without the stock dash underneath it... one simple request, and the vents and so forth can be not cut-out, and attach the bezel to the dash, and you have a stock-looking dash that weighs less than 3-4 lbs or whatever this weighs... hehe.

So win-win all around.... 8)

Oh, one more thing... before, i had talked about selling more of these dash sections, or maybe the gauge bezels separately. Well, i thought about it, and after the last time i posted about this, and the response i got, it is not going to be available for sale.... only 2 of these will exist from us... one on this project car, and the other on my car :twisted:

So sorry if you wanted one, but if you hate them, then you can rest assured in knowing that they won't exist everywhere, and infiltrate your carbon fiber-less lifestyles, and we won't waste any more of your precious carbon fiber for useless overlays and non-structural applications... well, except for the hood... oh, and the rear deck... oh, and maybe an overlay on the roof... oh, and maybe a e-brake handle cover.... or maybe a valve cover overlay.... oh, wait, there is also the air horns on the ITBs that we could overlay to... and MORE!!! :p hahahahahaahaaa!!!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Dude, i'm a critic, but fuck me if that doesn't look freakin sweet!
Strong work!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Possible to make me a plate that would have two side brackets to bolt right in where the radio goes? I want to attach my switches to the plate and take out the radio. CF would be like sooooo awesomtacular dude haha.

But yeah, possible? How much $ are we talking? :twisted:

Nick

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bas: I'm like that flying dude... the Jedi powers have no affect on me :lol: Unfortunately, due to the last volley of insults this project received, the decision was made to not make anymore... can't go back on that now, it would be far too expensive.

jmart: Pics don't do this deal justice... seeing it in person it is absolutely killer how it looks!

Tiersen: Its kinda funny, but that center console section was purchased already in fiberglass with some pieces of CF in there to make it look neat.. well, it is sorta light, but in the CF world, it weighs a ton for its size. Its actually a tad bit heavierthan the stock piece. However, the dash, and the gauge bezel weigh less together than the center console does... and to all the weight-purists out there... if you have FLOORMATS, they weigh more than this dash piece does... hehe!

Dren: With enough experience, anything is possible with CF... the big question is cost, and willingness to do the job. The hard part here will be getting my guy to be willing to make that piece, and having it be done so that it is cost-effective for you. My 'cheaper' suggestion to you would be to go out and buy one of those aftermarket radio install kits, that slides into the stock slot, and has a little bezel around the edge... then, go onto eBay, and buy a hard flat sheet of CF (amke sure it is stiff, and not flexible!!!), cut the shape out of it, and then glue it to the bezel... if you do it nicely, and take your time with it, and sand/shape the edges of the bezel, and clear coat over all of it, it'll look great, and look like it is all CF... then just use a dremel tool or a hole saw to cut the hole in the panel for your gauges ;)

·
Registered
533 Posts
No he did not. It was a business who did the work, we just supplied the idea. I am sure a business does not want to give details on how they do their fine craftsmanship. I could be wrong but Im sure John would correct me if I was wrong.

I cant wait to see this in person. I know the console and other parts were nice in person better then pictures and John says these are so much better.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nah... like Kevin said, the guys that really know what they are doing with CF work will generally not disclose exactly how they do things. They are a VERY secretive bunch... When i go over to the guys house, he doesn't let me bring my camera in. I certainly don't blame him one bit though. It takes a lot of time and effort to learn a skill/craft like this... if you want what you're doing to be special, then there is no sense in showing others for free what took you years to figure out and master.

·
Registered
119 Posts
im just the opposite, i dont necessarily like giving out my design ideas, but the skills to make and apply them im always willing to pass on. of course my biggest pet peeve in all the world is lost knowledge.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well your attitude is few and far between, and most certainly great... i don't know if you are speaking of it from a hobbiest standpoint, or if you make a living doing it... but most people who make a living with their skills don't want to be replaced or outdone by someone they teach... and depending on your market, it could be small enough, or enough of a niche that by teaching one person, you very well could create your own competition or replacement... the CF world is very much a niche market. As i said before, i don't blame this gentleman one bit for being as secretive as he is...

For instance... he inadvertently taught me enough to be very dangerous when he was here doing my race cars front end. I helped out enough, that just by watching him and helping, i could build another one without him... Everytime he comes over to talk about stuff, he makes a point to tell me that he is thankful that i simply want nothing to do with making my own stuff, because then he would lose another customer. Ironically, i will be using much of what i learned from him to make a custom seat for my race Kart, but i offered him the chance to do it, and he turned the deal down since it won't be in Carbon, so i have to do it... but at least i asked him first.. lol!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes if you noticed in the k-rx build thread on my car you will notice we already have the rear deck and are also getting the door panels and ebrake cover done as well. It started off with a little then as I pictured the car more and more, it just wouldnt have looked right if i did some and not had it flow.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Ha ha. You talk as if this stuff coudn't be done by someone else some where else. This is rather simple stuff. All it takes is a plug, carbon fiber weave cloth ( comes in many weights and weaves) resin/hardener a good quality plastic bag and a vacuum cleaner for pulling vacuum on the plug.
Some elbow grease, good quality two part clear coat and you have a nice shinny part.

Anybody in the kit car industry or body kit industry knows how to repeat this sort of stuff. I have done quite a few carbon fiber parts, not for cars though.

Still 100% bling, more power to you.

·
Registered
861 Posts
crxter said:
Ha ha. You talk as if this stuff coudn't be done by someone else some where else. This is rather simple stuff. All it takes is a plug, carbon fiber weave cloth ( comes in many weights and weaves) resin/hardener a good quality plastic bag and a vacuum cleaner for pulling vacuum on the plug.
Some elbow grease, good quality two part clear coat and you have a nice shinny part.

Anybody in the kit car industry or body kit industry knows how to repeat this sort of stuff. I have done quite a few carbon fiber parts, not for cars though.

Still 100% bling, more power to you.
shoot the secrets are out............pull the plug we are done :roll:

still lovely pieces of work man, i have fudged up cf so i don't mess wit it anymore.... props on work and i know its hard to work with

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
crxter said:
Ha ha. You talk as if this stuff coudn't be done by someone else some where else. This is rather simple stuff.
My oh my... and you talk as if a 3yr old can do it... lol.

Sure, anyone can lather up a section of carbon and get it to go over a surface and wait for it to cure... how about getting it back off the surface, making it look good, keeping the weave in tact and matching, getting it to gracefully go around the tightest of curves, cutting the sections of cloth perfectly so that it looks like it was done with one gigantic piece instead of several, getting the resin right so that it doesn't shrink too much that you wouldn't be able to get it back over the part.... doing all of this, and still making a part lighter than most would be able to make?

There is a LOT more to it than just lathering up a part. I'm happy for you and your little buddies in the "kit car and bodykit industry", but i've also seen some seriously f-troop looking crap come out of your friends industry as well...

By the way, a vacuum cleaner does not have nearly the amount of suction needed to pull a good vacuum seal on a part. Also, you speak of the "plug" like it just appears out of nowhere... how about the skill to make the plug in the first place? Oh, and as for the plastic bag? um.... it takes a little bit more than just a plastic bag genious... you need the perforated layer, the felt layer, as well as the plastic bag, or else you won't get a good even flow of vacuum over the part, and without the felt, you'll have an overabundance of resin.

100% Bling? You bet.... there is nothing at all wrong with that... sorry that you choose to not invest in making your car look better at all, and live with cracked parts, faded paint, and so forth. And if you come back saying that you have a great paintjob, and you actually try keeping it looking good, then don't talk to me about bling... 98% of the "anti-bling purists" care about the looks of their car deep-down... paint is nothing but "bling" to ya know... lol! :lol:

icarus: Thanks... thats what sunglasses are for. Most people usually wear them down here anyway during the day when they're driving, and this is no exception. Will there be glare? yea... but it really isn't as bad as everyone who has commented about this makes it sound.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
just to put my 2 cents in. i like everything! you gotta appreciate htis piece for the quality of workmanship alone, regardless if you think it is worth it

i like carbon fiber door handles, i like turbos, i like oil, i like tire, i like beer, i like polished license plate bolts, i like vtec, i like dual cams, i like single cams, i like to drive my car at night, i like first gens, i like dragonball z, i like blondes, i like brunettes, i like red heads, man i could go on and on

And I need to scarf a burger beef bacon jalapeno good thing down!

anyway, i give it three thumbs up

·
Registered
214 Posts
I saw a show on how to make your own carbon fiber parts, it didn't seem that easy. Looks like you need an artists touch.

btw that car in your avatar is awesome too bad there is a girl blocking the full view.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Whatever Mr "I am the only one"
Arguing over the internet is for nerds.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.