Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi new to the forums and my fisrt post ends up being a question well i jsut put SiR breaks knuckles and arms on my 88 crx si while doing a b16 swap went to get it aligned and they told me i need wheel bearings and tie rod ends im just wondering if anyone knows which wheel bearings ill have to get (year model) cause im sure they just priced the onbe for a crx. ill make a more formal intro to my crx in general later any help would be great as i need my crx as a daily

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm not sure about the wheel bearings, but the tie rods are different for the SiR compared to regular CRX. As far as I know, you have to order them from Honda Japan. Hopefully someone here can input as to where we can find them locally.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how fast can you get them to the states and how much? lol i may just have them try 90-93 teg wheel bearings and the stock tie rod ends cause i think the guy who did my swap may have broke them i walkin in on him with a crow bar and he said it was he couldnt find the spliter.

and howare the SiR tie rods different from the usdm crx ones baker_jeff so i know if its work just getting my stock ones

remember its a jdm teg xsi b16 in a usdm crx with just the SiR a-arms hubs and brakes hope i didnt need to swap any thing else from the SiR to it may have a time find in anything like that

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
acctually the guy if bought the knuckles from told me it either 93 civic ex or 90-93 integra so i told the shop and we will find out soon i hope :doh:

EDIT: it is 90-93 teg bearings for sure

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
new problem turns out the USDM inner tie rods are longer by like an inch or less so i need sir inner tie rods to make this work so if the guy i bought the stuff from dosent have them i may need to order some through you seti if your cool with that

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ringmaster69 said:
new problem turns out the USDM inner tie rods are longer by like an inch or less so i need sir inner tie rods to make this work so if the guy i bought the stuff from dosent have them i may need to order some through you seti if your cool with that
Same problem I had. The tie rods are longer. I only need one, so the guy doing my alignment used one UDSM CRX tie rod, and adjusted the other WAY over so that they were fairly even.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ringmaster69 said:
Hmm, Thats strange. I wonder if the problem is only on the 88 models. My brother was running SIR knuckles for a while with stock inner tie rods, but he did not have this problem. He has a 91 though.

Oh and the guy you bought them from is right, the 90-93 teg and 90-91 civc ex bearings work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
baker_jeff said:
Ringmaster69 said:
Same problem I had. The tie rods are longer. I only need one, so the guy doing my alignment used one UDSM CRX tie rod, and adjusted the other WAY over so that they were fairly even.
yeah they are doing somthing like that to mine but i told them only if it will be safe (yeah like i believe them anyways) im supposed to get it back to day but just a get it back on the road fix but ill order the jdm ones next chance i get this sucks had the b16 in for over 2 month or more and i still havent got to drive it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tougeoni said:
Hey do you think they could cut the rods down to fit and then run a thread die further into the shaft to get the lost inch od thread back?
thats what these guys said the were gonna try i guess its possible but im just gonna try and get the Japanese ones myself i broght it home today wanted to pull a little with the oem usdm ones on it in the best alignment they could do
i just went and got mine cause it was at a bad garage for even usdm imports but its home and im kinda happy it is but wont be fully happy till i can drive the sucker

its the silver one (yeah i know the one that look beat is the one with the goodies and the nice one is the beater)

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
It's plenty tricky to bore out the tie-rods. I've seen it done before, but the guy had some problems afterwards dialing in the toe.

I personally wouldn't risk it.
Also, oftentimes, EX knuckles will be sold as SiR knuckles. Difference is that with those you (supposedly) don't need different tie-rods.
If that's so, I don't see any advantage in usinf SiR knuckles apart from their JDM-ified value.

·
Registered
14 Posts
SETI20 said:
It's plenty tricky to bore out the tie-rods. I've seen it done before, but the guy had some problems afterwards dialing in the toe.

I personally wouldn't risk it.
Also, oftentimes, EX knuckles will be sold as SiR knuckles. Difference is that with those you (supposedly) don't need different tie-rods.
If that's so, I don't see any advantage in usinf SiR knuckles apart from their JDM-ified value.
He said the inner tie rod is too long, so it's just a matter of cuting the rod and adding a little more thread. You have a good point with the Ex knuckles though. I almost brought it up, but since he prolly spent a good amount of money on the ones he has I figured he wanted to make those work. To be honest unless some one wants to keep the rim size at/under 14" I usualy just tell tehm to get a fast brakes fit or some thing of that nature.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oddly enough the guy i bought these from is using the ex knuckles thats why he sold these hes got the tie rods i need but seems to think he will have to use them when he RHDs it he got a full front clip

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tougeoni said:
Hey do you think they could cut the rods down to fit and then run a thread die further into the shaft to get the lost inch od thread back?
Cut the inner one down like an inch, and it will aline perfect. DO both and get a 14mm (i forget hte pitch) die to clean it up, problem solved

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just dont know how safe id feel driving around with them done up like that

·
Registered
779 Posts
Boosted Chemist said:
Tougeoni said:
Cut the inner one down like an inch, and it will aline perfect. DO both and get a 14mm (i forget hte pitch) die to clean it up, problem solved
That could be dangerous. If you only have 2 inches normally, and you take one away, you have taken half the safety factor out of the tie rods.

I saw do the EX conversion and sell the ones you have now...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.