Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello CRX Community, thought I'd share my build on here. It's just a copy and paste from another site but I will be updating this regularly with updates when I have them.

Thought I'd make a journal about the CRX. After selling off my MK3 Supra project along with the parts car I bought off of MPI, I had some cash on me but not enough to get a decent project car. So I decided to wait until I graduated from high school so I could buy something decent. Around mid June or so, my Mom told me that she's giving me the Chevy Aveo that I had been driving everything to school since I got my license as a early graduation present. She said I could do whatever I wanted with it, so I decided to sell it. Sold it a couple days later after posting it online and made $4700 from it. With the money I had in the bank I decided to look at some cars.

I found the car on the 204 marketplace which was pretty odd since people just post beat up Hondas, tow hooks and knockoffs . When I found the ad I immediately sent the person a message about it. When I first saw the car the outside was in ok shape, the passenger side trim was missing, the passenger side lower fender and door trim was damaged and the paint was in OK shape. The first thing that struck me was how low the mileage was on it. When I bought it, it only had 62000 KM on it, so it had very low KM for it's age. Since it was a SiR model it had the factory B16 engine and had the factory rear seats which were in terrible condition, they were all ripped up and ugly and both front seats weren't in good condition either. The rest of the interior was in good shape and wasn't damaged. The car didn't have a glass roof or a sun roof which was a huge bonus for me since I'm not a fan of sun roofs and moon roofs and I didn't want to deal with any of them leaking, especially on a car that was close to 25 years old. Went for a test drive and boy that thing was fun, put down a deposit and waited for the seller to safety it.

A week or 2 went by before I actually went to pick it up, I was still in high school at the time so when he called me saying it was ready to be picked up, I skipped class with my friend who didn't have class that day and went to go pick it up. Handed over the rest of money for the car and there I was, a owner of a 1990 Honda CRX SiR (which I wanted when I was a kid so it was like a dream come true I guess). Funny part was I couldn't drive standard yet so I stalled a bunch of times on the way home.

Here's when I first brought it home

Since then I've been modding it slowly and don't have many pictures of them since I usually forget to.

First mods I bought were a carbon kevlar Bride bucket seat, pci seat rails, used nardi + hub and a set of SSR wheels, but I sold the SSRs and bought a second bucket seat and a Mugen spoiler

Decided to gut my interior. Why? Because Im a ricer

Sold the Thrash seat and bought one of my favorite seats, a Bride Zeros

Bought a used Buddyclub Spec 2 and a PLM header + test pipe but sold both of them a couple months later.

Sold the Kevlar Bride seat and bought another Bride Zeros that was in mint condition. Sold the seat that wasn't in good shape for a good price a few months later. Ended up in this beast S14 with BN Sports bodykit

Finally received this Hard Race front camber kit after 2 months of waiting from the seller on eBay.

I didn't buy any wheels or coils until 2014 since I didn't know what I wanted to buy, so the far looked like this until a week ago

While the car was in storage, I blew a bunch of money of parts that I wanted and ended up impulse buying

(Wasn't my photo, was the sellers)
Not pictured is my ESP traction bar

Finally took the car out of storage around the end of March and a couple weeks later I ended up installed new pads and rotors and my Js Racing exhaust (no photos of the pads and rotor install, forgot to take them)
Old:

New:

Installed my EDM glass headlights

But one broke the other day when I was trying to adjust the fitment of the bumper and headlight when a semi came by and shook the whole building and making the headlight fall since it wasn't bolted in

Mounted and balance my wheels at work. The Buddyclub's are 15x7 +17 and the Enkei's are 15x7 +35. I wanted to run Advan AD08 tires but I ended up getting these Bridgestone Potenza RE040 for free so I'm not going to complain

Bought some BNIB EF8 clear corner lights and another glass headlight so I can fix the other one.

Corner lights installed

Bought a used Trust Grex shift knob, one of my favorite shift knobs of all time

Finally, after waiting close to 2 months my Fortune Auto 500 Series coil overs with Swift Springs came in

I ended up buying the BWR LCAs because Fortune Auto sent the wrong rear mounts and I couldn't wait any longer

Ended up buying these Project Mu lugs for the wheels since I couldn't use the ones that were on the Sparco wheels

Last Friday was the day I finally install all these parts that have been sitting in my room for the past couple months. Loaded the car up after work and went to the shop

I didn't take any pictures of the install because I was trying to get it done as fast as possible since I ended up starting on it pretty late in the evening and didn't want to be there for that long. After I was done my front left wheel actually fell off and messed up my fender. How did it fall off? I honestly have no clue but I'm guessing I didn't tighten them down enough and the lugs backed themselves out. Luckily I only damaged my fender and not anything else. Had a good code brown moment when it happened.

The car the next morning after a wash and the damaged fender. I actually pounded the fender back out with a hammer so it looks somewhat decent but I'm currently on the look out for another fender.

Did an alignment at work and surprisingly made it on the drive on hoist without hitting anything and this is how it currently sits

As you can see I chipped a lot of paint while rolling my fenders, I ended up using a hammer and a rubber mallet ::) Doesn't really bother me seeing as I plan on repainting the whole car this year anyways

That's it for now. I currently have a Works Bell slim quick release which will be picked up and installed tomorrow and a bucket seat for the passenger side which should be here next week.

For right now I don't plan on doing any performance mods except for maybe a intake and a header when I convert to obd1. I plan on going to as many auto x events as possible after I pick up a helmet and learn how to drive this thing fast. I will be painting the exterior the oem color and the interior a different color after I decide which color I want.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Nice rex. :)b I've got to get around and change my pads and rotors as well. What pads and rotors did you install? Should I get the some for a rex or a different Honda altogether?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cloud Eleven said:
Nice rex. :)b I've got to get around and change my pads and rotors as well. What pads and rotors did you install? Should I get the some for a rex or a different Honda altogether?
For pads and rotors, I just used oem Brembo and Hawk HPS pads for a DA GSR Integra. Would have went with Hawk Plus ones but I don't see that much track time...yet

Today I received my Works Bell QRS which is just a slim version of their normal quick release and it's very nice. All metal construction with next to little plastic on it. Makes a nice click when it's locked and take some force to unlock actually which is a good thing since I don't want it popping off randomly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AZCRXSI said:
Wow, very cool!

Love the amount of pics included!

Up for more pics/updates.
Thank you! I love your car too and the amount of pictures and detail you put in your thread.

Here's a update, sort of. Went in to work today and decided to park on the street. Went out to go roll down my windows cause it's hot outside and I notice this

Luckily, the person who hit me left a note with their number. Going to make a claim on it later this week.

My bucket seat came today in the mail. Picked it up right away after work and installed it while my friend was hanging out in the garage.

·
Registered
20,171 Posts
sloppyclock said:
The car didn't have a glass roof or a sun roof
Nice looking car and pretty rare find to find a SiR from the factory without the cyber roof or sunroof.

sloppyclock said:
Luckily, the person who hit me left a note with their number.
That's awesome that their are still honest people out there!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Baker said:
sloppyclock said:
The car didn't have a glass roof or a sun roof
Nice looking car and pretty rare find to find a SiR from the factory without the cyber roof or sunroof.

sloppyclock said:
Luckily, the person who hit me left a note with their number.
That's awesome that their are still honest people out there!
Thanks for the facts about the roof, didn't know how rare it is. When I first looked at the car I thought I got a parking ticket until I got closer and noticed my bumper. I met the guy today and swapped info, very nice guy and thanked him for leaving a note.

Dr_Drache said:
hey dude...
where's the rice? I just see a nice crx.... damn titles.
Haha, thank you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgot to mention, of friend of mind wanted to do a photo shoot with my car a a few weeks ago and I forgot to post them up. It ended up raining when we went but I love driving in the rain so I didn't mind.

Here are the photos,
Steven - JDM CRX by au.ken, on Flickr

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought I'd give this thread a quick update. Nothing has really changed to the car but it is going in for body work and paint at the end of the month/early July so I'm pretty excited about it. Ended up buying a bunch of parts over the last couple weeks, here's a list of what I bought with some pictures

ACT Streetlite flywheel from iLikeTheTunaHere

Full size Koyo radiator

4 point Takata harness

Feel's/Honda Twin Cam carbon fiber front strut bar
Synchrotech seal kit
RHD manual steering rack with crossmember (On its way from Japan via sea)
OEM CRX car cover (should be here tomorrow!)

And I finally put down a deposit for one of dream parts that I always wanted, Js Racing front bumper!!

Well that's about it for now, going to be tearing down the CRX next week so I can send it off to the body shop.

Oh, might be putting down another deposit for another big ticket item that I always wanted next week also so stay tuned!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
razordave said:
lookin great!
Thank you, yours is coming along well also.

Not really an update but I picked up my OEM car cover today and I think it's one of my favorite purchases yet. Last time I saw on for sale was on Ebay and it went for $400+ but I got mine for waaaay less than that. It's in excellent condition for it's age and doesn't have a rip or a tear. Small stains on the inside of it but no one is going to see it.

It folds into a bag like this

but I don't know how to fold it back :(

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The directions are right on the tag ;) don't you speak japanese?

jk, I have no clue what that says, but that is dope!

Btw, I love that 240! I thought I wanted the older ones with the flip up headlights, but yours has me sold.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
razordave said:
The directions are right on the tag ;) don't you speak japanese?

jk, I have no clue what that says, but that is dope!

Btw, I love that 240! I thought I wanted the older ones with the flip up headlights, but yours has me sold.
I still haven't figured it out haha. That 240 isn't mine, its the buyers who bought my old Bride Zero. He has a really nice 240sx hatch too with a lot of nice parts on it.

So I went to the JDM river today and sacrificed my kevlar Vios and in return, I managed to fish out a rare CF Mugen fuel cell cover made for a EK civic. Went and test fitted it and surprisingly it almost fits. Just a bit of trimming on the right side of the strut tower and it fits, I tossed it back into the river since I wasn't worthy (for now...)

Also, on a sad note, I found out where the water is coming in to my hatch when it rains and I found out its coming from a small hole covered by a very small amount of rust near the weather stripping. Going to pull it off when I drop it off for paint and hopefully it isn't too bad. Might have to do a patch job until I can do it properly in the winter if it turns out bad.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts