Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the width isnt the big problem, its the height. ill have to snap a pic of where the hose has to go. the fan is in the way, the engine outlet is lower than the radiator about 3 inches from the fan, and it kinda points down to the passenger side a bit.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
stickershop said:
Has anyone tried using a condensor as a radiator? Would that work?
The condensor passages are too small - They're designed to cool a gas, not a liquid. If you put hot coolant through it, the coolant would probably come out at room temperature, but I doubt there would be enough flow to cool the engine properly.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I wonder if you could get a company to custom make a radiator out of a condensor frame....possibly a dual core setup that is better suited to cooling liquid. That would totally make my day too!

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
I have a EG "half" radiator in my rex.I notched my hood for the cap clearance,but aside from that mine fits nice.
I'll throw some pics up when imagestation starts working again... grr :evil: [/img]

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'm making a solution for the latest KRX in the shop that may also work for what you're looking for... it will be a short, wide, and fit close to the condensor size, and in that rough area... Only issue with it, is that due to how low the top of it is, it will require a separate radiator cap tank that will be mounted in a fender-well for a high-point in the system. I'm ordering the core and all parts for it this week sometime, and will have a price work-up done if you are interested in a custom solution. send me an email if you're interested in a similar item johnw at iconautoparts dot com ;)

note: custom = not necessarily cheap, but it'll do exactly what you want... :p

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might hit you up on that john if my new idea doesnt work. After staring at it I may have somthing.

The H22 outlet sits about 2 inches lower than the radiator inlet, and points down to the passenger side. Not a problem until you put the fan on. Now the fan sits to far out for a hose to be able to come down then bend up. I thought about just trying a slim fan but i measured and it wont work either. Then it hit me, put the slim fan on the other side of the radiator! I havent done it yet, been too cold this week to fool with it.

So my question now is, are our fans a push or pull type? I think i can get a slim fan for about $60, just need to know if it should pull to the front of the car or push back into the engine bay. I think its the first option, keep as much heat out of the engine bay as possible, but who knows.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
The stock fans pull air into the engine bay.

If you were to mount a fan on the outside and have it pull air out the other way, you're no longer getting cool air through the radiator, it's just pulling the hot engine bay air out.

A fan on the outside is also more susceptible to debris, and thus broken blades. It might block some air too, that would be normally blowing in while you're driving, but that effect is likely small.

I'm also imagining the force of highway-speed wind blowing into the front of your car while the fan is trying to blow air forward, a situation that could fry the fan's motor.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Well, since you obviously don't have a/c :p i think that if you use a slim pusher (stocks are pullers), and mount it on the front of the radiator, so that the air is still moving in the "stock direction", it'll work just fine. however, puller fans do seem to work a lot better, because you can seal the area around the fan, and have on smaller fan pull through the entire radiator... which makes it work a lot better.

But yea, when i get the radiator deal worked out for the KRX, i'll post the radiator info up ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.