Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive ben noticing that my car is putting out white smoke when i accelerate... ive never noticed before because i never look right back behind me when i am accelerating cuase im lookin at the darn road... but anywho ive ben noticing that soooo what could it be...

i was thinkin i could be burning oil because the car burns alot of oil

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Paul, are you losing coolant? What is your setup? If you're running a stock D series I wouldn't be surprised if the headgasket is blown. Also if it's burning oil that says another thing about the condition of the motor... maybe it's time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sometimes, i get white smoke too. Ihave a D16a6 with a fresh rebuild. It had all new gaskets plus an MLS head gasket. Are you sure white smoke couldnt be a rich or lean engine. I'm asking because i'm clueless. I just figured cuz water is a byproduct of combustion so to much gas=to much water vapor? not really sure though. Could anyone verify that?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Big clouds of white smoke = blown head gasket. If it's happening after you put on a new head gasket, it didn't seal correctly.

Try turning off your engine after it is hot, wait a minute, then restart. If you get the big plume of sweet white smoke (steam), you have a blown head gasket.

Pretty common on the D Series after all this time.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
If you rebuilt because of a blown headgasket and it was smoking before, you may get smoke for a while until it burns out of the cat. Mine did that for almost 100 miles, it got better over time and eventually went away completely.

·
Registered
634 Posts
From what I've seen, a too-rich mixture will usually generate DARK smoke, akin to the soot a diesel puts out. Grey or bluish smoke is typically due to burning oil; oil smoke in the upper revs and under hard acceleration is generally blow-by getting past worn piston rings, while oil smoke on startup is usually a symptom of leaking valve guide seals. And white smoke, especially if it smells sweet, is coolant getting combusted (Note: if you're just running water and no antifreeze in your cooling system, it won't smell sweet). I've pretty much experienced them all, but thankfully not all on the same car! :)

Right now, I've pretty much confirmed a bad headgasket on my own D16a6, but it's NOT blowing smoke, and there's no oil in the coolant or water in the oil - the typical signs of a bad headgasket. Mine seems to be pumping air into the cooling system under load, gradually forcing the coolant out (through the overflow bottle) and replacing it with air pumped out through a cylinder. Guess what I get to do tomorrow... (Hint: it involves pulling the head) ;)

Mike

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
my car is leaving lots of white smoke behind it now when i accelerate hard. the car doesnt really go anywhere when this happens.
only really happens in first and second gear

after careful diagnosis i have determined it is the tires smoking.

....lame i know but i thought it was funny

[email protected]

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
HAHA

While I was borrowing my friend's car I told him it was doing that, and also that the steering sometimes didn't seem to work, it would move sideways and make a screech, while the wheel was pointed forward.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.