Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
It's a relative term.

Snowed in in New England means it's over a meter deep, saturday, and you weren't going out anyway (but you might go do some reverse donuts in the CRX).

Snowed in in DC means there is an inch of snow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They plow your streets? Neighbors are still outside shovelling. Got at least 2 feet here just north of DTC (Denver Tech Center for the non-locals). Drifts are well over 3 feet. Looks like it finally stopped, though.

·
Registered
952 Posts
rex2nr said:
coldtotouch said:
Sucks to hear about the starter!

We still have NO SNOW up here in Toronto... looks like its gonna be a green Christmas!
Same on the south side of the lake.
Same here on the east side, although there was this one time where it dusted the ground but then again, if i cant plow it, its not a snow storm.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Dodo said:
rex2nr said:
coldtotouch said:
Sucks to hear about the starter!

We still have NO SNOW up here in Toronto... looks like its gonna be a green Christmas!
Same on the south side of the lake.
Same here on the east side, although there was this one time where it dusted the ground but then again, if i cant plow it, its not a snow storm.
I got to plow a couple weeks ago... it melted by the next day though. We got a whopping 2.5." I could really use some money... start snowing!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Green Christmas here as well.....on the wesssssside! :wink: :twisted:

·
Registered
779 Posts
downest said:
but you might go do some reverse donuts in the CRX
I hope you realise that reverse gear at 6000rpm has a 7 minute life span... Anything after that is luck that it hasn't been destroyed. I took a class on nothing but gears and how to calculate life. Pretty sad sometimes what you hear about how poorly some companies design there gearboxes.

·
Registered
779 Posts
mattminerDOTcom said:
my empircal data states that it must have a much much much longer lifespan then that.

either that or im the luckiest guy on earth.

[email protected]
Depends on the tranny. But the reverse gear is designed around low speed (thus low power and low rpm) use. It's a spur gear ontop of it all. They aren't the strongest nor most efficient. They usually are rated to use half for the average horsepower giving by the engine (D16A6 would make around 50hp average, so 25hp in the reverse). Now you can slam all 108hp thru that bad boy, but don't come crying to me when all of a sudden it doesn't engage properly and that whining sound is a lot nastier....that's the sound of your gear failing. Gotta remember that the reverse gears are designed to be used for 5% of the transmissions life on average.

If I had a spare reverse gear from a D16A6 tranny I could figure out the known life left on average, but to be honest, it's not worth the time to figure it out. You just, shouldn't abuse a car like that. If you hit a dry spot at 60kmh in reverse, bye bye gear.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
ha i wish i could find all my videos of that car. i had it going pretty much tached out in reverse, whipped it around and did like 4 spins down the street. i guess im lucky to have spare si trannys lying all over my deck.

i can see what you are saying about shocking the gear by hitting some dry pavement, that could be bad for sure haha.

I also remember trying to run away from a crazy dude whos tarted kicking my boosted hatch...i think i hit at least 10psi in reverse before i j turned that thing. that was more of a "oh **** fear for my life" situation. glad my reverse didnt break then! that wouldve been horrible.

[email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.