Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to turbo this baby out soon and was wondering if i should even spend the time and money on a set up for it. It was a mpfi swap and the engine is real strong but im not sure that this thing could handle that amount o pressure.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Actualy, ZCs have been known to like boost. If its still in good shape a little bit of boost and a good tune wouldnt hurt.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
ZC's take to boost very well,if you tune them right.
What kind of FI setup are you looking at? JY? "store bought"?
Don't forget about a good EM program either! CROME or NEPTUNE,Hondata...

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Depends on the ZC. I think the DOHC is best known to be really fast on boost (right Azulito?), but the SOHC non-VTEC is basically a D16A6. Still not bad, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. You can make a nice little turbo setup for relatively cheap that the stock motor will take just fine. Use a small turbo, like a T25, IHI, 14b, a sidemount intercooler, and a decent manifold (even an HF one will work), some DSM/RX7 injectors, chip your ECU (or better get a P28 and go OBD1) and you're golden.

ollie said:
ZC's take to boost very well,if you tune them right.
What kind of FI setup are you looking at? JY? "store bought"?
Don't forget about a good EM program either! CROME or NEPTUNE,Hondata...
I think if he's staying OBD0 turboedit is the obvious choice here. It's free, and a boosted ZC/A6 is almost as common as MPFI swapping by now, there's plenty of resource out there for the setup.

For OBD1, I think Crome wins hands down, especially for DIY. I've read a few things about these three recently while I've been thinking about and planning the H22 swap. I want to be able to tune my own stuff, right now Matt is nice enough to meet me and do it, but I want the freedom and the knowledge to do it. I definitely don't think Neptune would work, for me at least, I just don't really see the advantages of it especially if you actually want to make regular changes. Hondata doesn't seem to hold much advantage over Crome either, except that it's a little easier to use, more plug and play style (and more expensive). Crome is the cheapest, and you have to do a little more work than the other two, but just as capable.

One thing I would like to see someone on here try is Megasquirt. I am planning on running the H22 on my chipped P72 with Crome, but I am considering using Megasquirt eventually. My friend is using it on his RX-7 project. He's got a 1985 GS (9/10) with a Series 5 13B Turbo II motor, a really really clean install. He did tons of custom fabrication on this car, and also wanted to do the management system from scratch. I've been tuning it with him and it's very easy to use, we haven't run into anything we can't do yet. The only reason I hesitate to use it on a Honda is just because the aftermarket for Honda is amazing, but there is no question I will use it in my next non-CRX car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this may sound stupid but is this thing any good ? i mean that i have no idea what good and whats bad cause i dont see a bunch of these things running around. is there a good prep post for turbos maybe on ht? somehting to explain whats what? i understand the fundamentals of it but have no idea who is any good. trying to smack a vr6 back in cortez and this is the most plausible way.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i think you should always do a leak down test and a compresion test before you boost any engine. but yes your sohc zc is the same motor i have and im boosting it with a 14b at 10 psi using turbo edit and dsm 450cc blue top injectors. at 10 psi you should see 13 second passes at the track. but for beginers go to homemadeturbo.com and ask question its clear that you need to do some reading before you start. start at homemadeturbo.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.