Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was parked on my street early this morning, and I came out to find my driver's side headlight smashed. The bumper is scuffed up too, and the support over the light is bent slightly. I know which car was parked in front of me, and I looked at it (now parked up the street) to see that it's got a little bit of black stuff on the lower bumper. It's a beat up old Ford Explorer, driven by some high school kids on the street.
They didn't leave a note or anything, but I know it was this car because it was parked in front of me, and my car was there for about 4 hours, when I came out they were gone. I don't know what I should do, I'm pretty mad they didn't have the decency to leave a note, but I think they should pay for it at least. Should I go over and ask them to? If they refuse to pay, can I do anything about it (legally of course)?
I was worried they might have messed up my CF hood too, but it seems to be fine. I really hate having a broken light, the car is pretty damn clean and I like it that way, I don't like dealing with people who don't have the decency to at least leave a note or something.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Call the cops, report a hit and run before those guys have a chance to clean the truck off, or get more dirt on the area making an ID more difficult... you have evidence of a hit and a potential suspect, and i'm sure a cop could easily back the truck up to it, and line the scuff mark of the truck up to the dent on the car.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
You're lucky enough to have a potential suspect. My car was hit in a Target parking lot in 2001, I was working there at the time so it was in the lot for about 9 hours. I had no idea or any clues about who could have done it, so needless to say it came out of my pocket to fix it.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MarkWilliamson said:
Yep. You should have filed a report the very minute you found the damage. If you've got good suspect information, it's usually pretty easy to get a confession.

The question:
Why didn't he stop?

The usual answer:
He was probably drunk at the time and afraid to get a(nother) DUI.

Now that he's sobered up, he's much more likely to accept his medicine and take a misdemeanor leaving-the-scene charge. Hey, at least it's not a DUI, right?

:evil:

good luck, let us know how it turns out.
He's like 16 or 17 and I think he was leaving for high school... Hope he wasn't drunk but with the kids on my block I wouldn't be surprised.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.