Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if there is a better spark plug than the NKG I've been
using for many many years.

I am loosing power, or it could be everyone is driving more powerful cars!

So, can someone recommend a reasonably priced spark plug that can make up for 'old age' ??

And maybe Spark Plug wires, but I'm not sure about those.

Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Honestly, the stock ingnition system is perfect even for modified cars. Stock spark plug wires, and NGK plugs are all you need. If you want, you can go with iridium plugs, but you won't actually feel any difference.

If you are feeling slow, start by refreshing your system with a tune up. New plugs, plug wires, fuel filters, air filter, new O2 sensor, clean up the ground connections. See how it feels then.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Not to bash on other crx's, but a Dx isnt the best for making power. But anyway, cold air intake, exhaust and a good tune up, will really help with some power problems.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
The dx engine has DPFI (dual-point fuel injection), a setup with only two fuel injectors. It consists of one large primary injector, and a smaller auxiliary injector. They are mounted in the vertical throttle body just above the small and restrictive intake manifold.

Needless to say, this is a limiting application for any real power. The MPFI (Multi-Point Fuel Injection) swap consists of swapping out the larger intake manifold, fuel rail and injectors, ECU, and distributor from an 88-91 CRX Si (or 88-91 Civic Si or 90-91 Civic Ex). This setup allows more air and fuel to get into the cylinders, thus making more power. Probably on the range of 12-15 hp. Add intake, header and exhaust later, and you might see an overall gain of 20-25 hp.

Adding just intake and exhaust to your dx might get you 5 hp. I saw a small gain with an intake, but absolutely nothing with exhaust. That might be because I still have the stock exhaust manifold.

Click here for more details and a walkthrough of the MPFI swap.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
xxpaulcpxx said:
If you want, you can go with iridium plugs, but you won't actually feel any difference.
I can't sway that i completely agree with this statement... Especially in modified cars, but stock cars do seem to feel and run better with Iridiums, its just not AS noticable. However, in performance applications, such as a turbosharged motor, Iridium plugs can make QUITE a difference in the performance and feel of the motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.