Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I am trying to figure out the best spring rate to use in a CRX that is going to be used mainly for race, it will get street time but I am more concerned with it being race set up than street, the car will probably weigh about 1800 lbs with about a 55-45 weight balance when Im done hopefully. I realy dont know much about suspensions so I am relying mainly on you guys to help me out. I am planning on doing GC coils and koni yellow short strokes. any help you guys can give me will be great thanks for the help. and if you think that there is a better suspension set up than this for the CRX let me know.
Nick

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks that is a bit higher than I had expected but like I said I have no knowledge of the topic. other than doing polyurithane energy supension bushings all around what do you recomend I add on to my suspension? specific camber kit, controll arms, etc. thanks for the help

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Just go with one or two things at a time. I think you will be happy with the Konis and GCs, and don't bother with a camber kit. Get an alignment, but the negative camber you get from the drop will help in cornering. I suggested the higher rates because you said it was primarily for racing, if you want more comfort/driveability, go with the standard GCs, it will still handle well with good tires. How did you get it so light, and what are you doing to balance it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am planning on making this into a pure race car for the moment I am driving a 88 and 87 CRX SI the 87 will be a daily driver and the 88 will be gutted and made race the reasont that I asked about the camber kit is because I know that changing the suspension will affect the camber and I dont plan on doin this all at one time I plan on taking a few years to build it up I just wanna do all of the suspension first the weight was supposed to be 1900 not 1800 but that is just an estimate if I was to keep it streetable it would be more like 2000 just cause I know someone that can make carbonfiber every thing for me

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I think the lightest second gens are around 1700 pounds. That's fully gutted, with lexan for glass, and CF hood, roof, plug, etc. I remember seeing one a while back on BMI Battle at 10,000 RPM, I think it was a J's racing car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
like I said i plan on about 1900 so by what you say it isnt impossible and if you dont mind staying on topic a bit you are saying that that much of a drop will not have enough of an effect on the camber to warent a camber kit?? now I dont know much about the topic but that seems just wrong to me. and as for compleating the suspension what type of sway/strut bars would you recomend? and as far as how im goin it CF hood fenders doors rear quaters hatch roof 8.5 lb wheels and gutting the interior most of the way should do it

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The camber really won't be a problem as long as you get the toe set correctly. You actually want the camber for turns. For the bars, it depends how you want it to handle. For my car, I want it to swing around fast, so for that I would go with a smaller from sway, say from an HF, and a larger rear sway bar, ST or tanabe (Tanabe is lighter), and possibly a rear tie bar. I've never used lower tie bars, I've heard they don't do too much anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea I would much rather have over steer than under steer thanks for the help man you realy sound like you know what your talking about. and I was just worried about to much camber to kill the tires I do plan on driving this on the street before I do to much work on it seeing as this is the fist thing that I am doing but I do get your point would you recomend adjusting the toe at all or leaving it to stock specs?

·
Registered
112 Posts
i have a 91 crx si that i race and autocross i have koni race gc coilover's and 700 lb springs all the way around ,i run stock si sway bars and a neuspeed lower tie bar also a full energy bushing kit, the car handles awsome and is setup very neutral for the way i drive ,thats something that you will have to figure out for your self.i've been running this setup for a couple years and love it and i still street drive the car (occasionaly)
anyway hope this helps :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
700 lbs??? wow that seems massive to me and I thought that 450 550 sounded high. and you said with a si sways front and rear and the tie bar front I assume?? I know less about sways then I do spring rates thanks for the info good to have some feed back from people who have applied it most sights it is people with every car imaginable responding to your threads thanks guys

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Like cagedrex said, it's really best to figure out how YOU like it to drive. I basically told you my setup, but I know a lot of people don't like driving my car (which is good, because I don't like a lot of people driving my car!) because it's a little unpredictable in a corner if you're not used to it. Still, I think stiffening up the front is not what you want to do. The CRX understeers a lot in stock form, and you don't want to do anything to promote that. You should also make sure you have good tires. Even with a great suspension, all you're going to do is slide if your rubber sucks.

About setting the toe:
I would get it set to factory spec first. The best thing to do is get an alignment at a shop that will let you come back for free. NTB does this I hear, or maybe you can find a local shop that will do it. One of my friends does his own alignments, but it takes him a long time. I have been told that having a little bit of toe-out will help with turn-in, but personally I would rather have it to factory spec and not worry about wearing out my tires. I put enough miles on the car on the street that I don't want to worry about killing my already soft Azenis (which I have mostly for autocross) before they get to be used on the track (parking lot).

a little OT, but where are you getting all the CF panels (fenders, doors, etc)?

·
Registered
778 Posts
cagedrex said:
i have a 91 crx si that i race and autocross i have koni race gc coilover's and 700 lb springs all the way around ,i run stock si sway bars and a neuspeed lower tie bar also a full energy bushing kit, the car handles awsome and is setup very neutral for the way i drive ,thats something that you will have to figure out for your self.i've been running this setup for a couple years and love it and i still street drive the car (occasionaly)
anyway hope this helps :)
you recommend the tie bars over a beefier rear sway bar? i am wanting a pretty neutral car for spirited back road driving and occasional SCCA meets. 700lbs seems pretty high, but i may go that route.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
as far as the cf I have a buddy that owns a shop and he makes a lot of cf parts custom done for his car and to sell and well he owes me a few favors and I plan on cashing them in for cf pannels. and as far as the advice I hear where you guys are comming from and I know that I should set it up as I want it to handel but the problem is I dont have the money to go out and buy 4 differnt sets of springs and decide what ones I like the most so I guess the best bet it to ride in a couple of CRX's with different spring rates any body live near the philly area??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
as far as the cf I have a buddy that owns a shop and he makes a lot of cf parts custom done for his car and to sell and well he owes me a few favors and I plan on cashing them in for cf pannels. and as far as the advice I hear where you guys are comming from and I know that I should set it up as I want it to handel but the problem is I dont have the money to go out and buy 4 differnt sets of springs and decide what ones I like the most so I guess the best bet it to ride in a couple of CRX's with different spring rates any body live near the philly area?? hey and does any body know what the stock spring rates are?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.