Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody please tell me the difference between Stage 1 clutch or stage 3 clutch. My dad and i have been arguing that there is no difference between them(except one cost more). I tell him it has to do something with performance. right. i want to get a clutch for my crx but cant decide

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
the main difference between 'stages' of clutches are the TQ handling. Stage X is just a marketing term. Find out the torque capability. Second to that is the type of disc it has and how it will drive for you.

[email protected]

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's about it. Stages are just marketing, but generally a stage one is an organic plate clutch that's similar to (or slightly better than) stock.

Stage two is generally a carbon/kevlar or similar plate, it will have slightly higher pedal pressure, but should still be driveable on the street without too much adaptation.

A Stage 3 clutch is generally a more drag-racing oriented design. It's usually a 3 to 6 puck sintered iron clutch with a significant increase in both torque holding capacity and pedal pressure. These aren't very forgiving and are more like an on/off switch than a clutch. You can drive these on the street, but you'll be kicking yourself in heavy traffic as they do require a fair bit of effort to use.

The only ratings you'll want to look at are torque holding capacity and (if it's listed) diaphragm spring rate. The first tells you how much torque the clutch can take without slipping (not horsepower, if there's a horsepower rating run away, clutches don't grip differently at different RPM), and the second tells you your pedal effort.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.