Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been a while since my car has had a problem I didn't create, so I guess I've had this coming. I went out just now to start it, and nothing happened. Checked the battery and it's fine, I turn the key and hear the click but get nothing from the starter. I checked all the connections, everything is fine, I haven't even been under the hood really for a while, I drove 300+ miles yesterday with no issues. Do I need a new starter? How can I check it? It hasn't had ANY problems so far, but I don't know how old it is. If I need a new one, can I get one from any D series?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it give some signs of going out though? It never turns more than twice before it starts.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Give the starter a nice WHACK with a pipe or something, then try. If it starts, it should last a couple more times, but you should get it replaced or rebuilt.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The battery is good, it's an Optima Yellow top that's less than 6 months old. I checked it with a multimeter and everything is fine, just the starter won't do anything. I'll try banging it, and I have a friend who can lend me his for a few days while his motor is apart.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried hitting it, nothing happened. I decided to try grounding it, it turned right over like normal (pulled the ground plug out and shorted it to the frame). So... I would guess there is a fuse or a relay that I need to look for?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I figured it out and fixed it in like 5 minutes... I feel like an idiot now.
When I got the car, it had an ignition wire interrupt keypad, which only locked the ignition when it had lost and regained power. It was extremely effective, so much that it took me about 5 minutes to remove it the day I got the car. Anyway, at the time I didn't have any solder, so I just used a crimp to connect the wire back together. When I managed to get it to start by giving the starter ground, I figured it must be a fuse or relay or something. When I was under the dash checking the fuses I noticed the thing felt loose (it hangs sort of in front of the fusebox). It was cracked. I think it got so cold and I must have hit it with my leg or something, I dont know. Anyway I held the wires together and it started perfect like usual, so I went up to the shop and soldered/heat shrunk it all back together, everything is fine now.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
hahah, I have a similar device on my car... It needs an electronic key to start the car. The thing has green LED's which light when it's key is in, except, they are hidden by the key. If the key isn't there, there are no lights. One night, I bumped the key, the stupid little black thing fell under the seat... my car wouldnt' start. I messed with the starter, the battery, ect for hours before finding the stupid key came out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts