Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have a '91 DX with a '90 LS. For a little while, I've been having problems with my car not starting. I would have full power for whatever I needed, stereo, lights, fan, etc, but I would turn the key and I could hear nothing but a faint hum of electricity.

Even though I did have power, I threw a portable jump pack on it, and it would fire right up. As a matter of fact, every time I did that, it would fire right up. Thinking that maybe I just needed a new battery, I replaced it, but the problem persisted.

I also noticed that when this would happen, we could easily push start it (you know, by popping the clutch while the car is rolling in gear), and it would fire right up. I also noticed that if I would put it in gear (I used reverse, rolling backward of course. I just park up against a brick wall.) and managed to move the car enough myself to at least bump the engine over, it would usually start right up. Finally, it should be noted that I tried the jump pack trick today, and for the first time yet, it didn't work. I had to use the aforementioned trick of bumping the engine over and trying again to get it to start.

Does this sound like a starter problem? I already spent $50 on a battery that didn't fix the problem, so I need to be certain before I go buying more random parts I don't need. I figured I'd ask you guys like I should have in the first place. :(

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
In my experience this sounds like the starter bendix isnt engaging.
I say this because as the starter bendix gets older and wears it can require more power to engage.(i.e. what your experiencing)
My .02 replace the starter.

But just a quick test before you do that.What is the condition of your battery cables? tight? cable to starter connection clean? tight?
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery connection to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One other thought is perhaps the ignition switch? Would that make sense anyway? I'll probably take a look at it first before I throw more money at a starter. I'll definitely have to check my wiring first, too.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ever since the hurricane my starter act's up occassionaly. 2 thing work for me, keep cycling the key and it usually will start after a bunch of times and then if that doesn't work I smack the starter with something a couple times.
Allways worked so far.
One of theses days I'll pull the starter off and clean the contacts...

If you get it to start by smacking it you can probly fix it like I did one of my older ones. If I remember right you can take it appart and sand or flip over a contact washer in there. I can't remember the specifics right now.

Almost the same aith the ign switch, it can be taken appart andd cleaned.
I had a post about that somewhere here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, it ended up being a bad ground. I just relocated the ground from the clutch cable bracket to an easily accessible bolt on the head. damn, and I was about to go out and buy a starter next. now, does anyone in central PA need a battery? :evil: I've got an extra.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts