Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just want to make sure, i could have sworn all crx models can use each others steering rack (i know hf has a quicker rack).

cause i was looking at an ebay auction and he says this rack is for every model but the Si...weird...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the racks all bolt up the same and can work on any model...however, the components within the rack (ie: pinion, the actual rack bar) are incompatible with the parts from other racks. You have to use the whole rack, from what I understand.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i have an SI and my rack housing is from a DX with some special Quaiffe internals. so DX and SI match up for sure, and i dont see why HF would be any different.

taking them out IS pretty rough. especially if you have to get to work real soon and its raining out and youre frustrated :)

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
we used the cutoff tool, a BFH, and the largest crow bar we had on hand. It was the most brutal thing I could ever do to a CRX, but a year before, I almost put a jack through this cars floor boards it was so rotted.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
There is the rumour that the HF rack is "quicker". The DX and HF racks are the same, the Si is progressive (non-linear gearing). If you get the quaife for a CRX you need a DX/HF rack, they are different. You can also get the rack off an STD Civic hatch.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
downest said:
There is the rumour that the HF rack is "quicker". The DX and HF racks are the same, the Si is progressive (non-linear gearing). If you get the quaife for a CRX you need a DX/HF rack, they are different. You can also get the rack off an STD Civic hatch.
ah ok...oh well...for some reason when i was looking up crx toy models this auction pop'd up... :?

·
Registered
634 Posts
The HF rack IS quicker - but only on the First-Generation '84-'87 CRX! The 2G CRXs all share the same steering rack ratio, but from what I hear (can't verify it as 100% fact) the Si uses a "progressive" setup...

Mike

·
Registered
247 Posts
on 2nd gens the SI rack uses a progressive set-up and the rack and pinion from a DX will not fit into the housing of an SI.

or so i was told... when i was putting my quaiffe rack in there, i didnt have much time to check things out as i had to drive to work soon after (i was nearly late because i had trouble getting the assembly back onto the car). i wish i had looked closer at the dimensions of them both, but from the info i gathered, the DX rack is either larger, or smaller than the SI rack and so it wont fit properly into the SI housing, and vice versa.

they both mount up to the cars though, without any problems

1 - 11 of 11 Posts