Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The top portion of my steering wheel has begun to come apart, like the smooth finish is turning into foam. Little bits come off in worn spots on occasion. Can this deterioration be fixed or at least slowed down until I can get a replacement?

Another note: What do you guys think about injecting epoxy through the foam to glue the foam back to the metal inside? The covering has separated from the metal hoop inside: I can grab the wheel (in that worn spot at the top of the wheel) and rotate the covering a bit.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
The foam may just be what's under the vinyl grip of the wheel... If you've worn through it, your only options would be a cover of some sort (stitch-on leather perhaps?) or replace the wheel.
As for epoxy, if you can find some way to mix it and then forcefully inject it into the wheel, it might work. Otherwise I would try a thin CA adhesive (superglue) since it flows much better.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
You could always get a Wheelskins cover to hold you over. Though it might be time to just bite the bullet and get a replacement, either OEM or aftermarket.

Dallas Custom would be able to redo your stock one, but at over $300, it wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The pins get hammered in so u can't feel or see them after you are done. I was just showing the interim step. Actually it worked really well; I know I was saying I would use different glue, but now that I have it installed and am driving it, it is pretty much like new. The "residual" rotation may have been my imagination.. (though I don't want to twist too hard :bounce:

That glue flowed really well as you can see in the pic, and also the nozzle was just right for the injection. I am really happy with it!

:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess I should also add... I had a steering wheel that was totally falling apart (metal ring showing/foam all over the place like OP had). I went to pick & pull & got one in really good shape to replace it, but that one had the issue of the rubber/foam twisting with respect to the metal ring. Hence the repair. So now my wheel is ~like new. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts