Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 88 HF (220k Miles) is my daily driver and just yesterday I walked out to the parking lot my at the end of the business day, put my key in to start and it only half cranked but would not turn over (first thought was dead battery) opened the hood checked the connections on my two year old (Costco) Interstate Battery, all looked good, but the same thing happened when I tried it again. Luckily the Security Officer came by in his golf cart and he had a "jump pack" and it started right up! (OK so again I'm thinking bad battery) drove home (4 miles) parked turned off the car, and then tried it again... same thing. Pulled the battery and off to Costco (still under warranty) $2.00 later I'm back with a new battery. I clean both the terminal's hook it up and try again expecting it to fire right up... Nope same thing, I try a few more times and it just barely rolls over (very slowly) then back to the same. I try one more time and it just ever so slowly roles over and starts! could this be a starter issue? what can I test? Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Make sure the battery is charged. What voltage reading do you get across the battery posts? If it's less than about 12.5V, the battery could use a charge. If it's less than 12.0V, the battery may be completely dead.

With the engine running and the headlights on, you should see a bit over 14V across the battery terminals. If you see less, your charging system isn't up to snuff.

--DD

·
Registered
297 Posts
Most likely parasitic draw. Put a new battery in but only connect it when you start the car and drive it. Drive it. disconnect it. Repeat for the next drive cycle and see if it starts up the same.
I've been through this. Only AFTER you confirm leaving it connected should you continue with an extensive parasitic draw investigation- otherwise you'll be wasting a ton of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts