Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on CRXCommunity.com, and unfortunately, it is to report that my black 1988 CRX Si that I've owned for the past 15 years was stolen last night in Avondale, AZ, a suburb of Phoenix, in a shopping center at McDowell and 99th Avenue between 6:30p and 8:30p. It is completely stock with a large dent in the front-left fender. It has a personalized Arizona license plate that reads "UGADOGG" as well as a Univeristy of Georgia Alumni plate on the front. The rear windows as well as the hatch are tinted, but the fronts are clear. The car is worth much more in pieces than as a whole, so I'm sure it's already been ripped apart at one of the fine chop-shops that Phoenix has become known for. :x It just turned 290K and was still going strong on the original engine. If you are in the Phoenix, Vegas, LA, Mexico, etc. areas, please keep an eye out and contact me at [email protected] if you happen to see it.

Thanks,

UGADOGG

·
Registered
433 Posts
baker423 said:
SETI20 said:
I don't get it...stock rexes aren't worth that much in parts. What lowlife would do this?
You'd be surprised. Good, clean parts (whatever they may be) are getting harder to find.

But it's still sad that some dirtbags would do that, especially after owning it for 15yrs. :cry:
I secon that ..
OEM pieces in good quality are getting rare ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the good thoughts. Unfortunately, I didn't have any security system in place. I have a Club, but I have been using it on my SC400 since I've only been driving the CRX from my garage at home to my garage at work. From the outside, the car was nothing special. It had rust in all of the usual places (gas tank, sunroof, behind the rear wheels) and the paint was very faded. The interior was definitely the best part of the car. The dash, door panels, seats, console, steering wheel (JDM integra wheel), and OEM floor mats were all in great shape. My intent was to part out the car once the engine blew, but it just wouldn't die! My search for a replacement has already begun. I've had an '86 Si, an '89 Si, and the '88 Si that was stolen and can't wait to find a new one!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Charles said:
Kill switches are really easy and very effective. I would rate them above alarms... especially ones installed the typical way.
Hmm ... Just thinking that one could change the ECU code so that it looks for something unusual before allowing the engine to start. Say, for instance the A/C switch being toggled 3 times or something like that. You could use any of a variety of inputs, brake switch and TP sensor are some other possibilities. If you didn't perform the right "recognition sequence" it would switch to a mode where it didn't fire the injectors so that it wouldn't start. In theory this would be less complicated to add than the launch control mods I've seen. Another reason to chip my ECU and start messing around. And there'd be no visible evidence of a kill switch system ... the only way around it would be to swap in another ECU.

I used to think my "rusty rex" was not a likely target ... now I'm not so sure. My interior is actually pretty nice (working unbroken climate control too).

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
'9445 said:
Charles said:
Kill switches are really easy and very effective. I would rate them above alarms... especially ones installed the typical way.
Hmm ... Just thinking that one could change the ECU code so that it looks for something unusual before allowing the engine to start. Say, for instance the A/C switch being toggled 3 times or something like that.
Unnecessarily complex. I have two kill switches. One close by for everyday use. Another more difficult to reach for "lockdown" situations like malls. You can kill the ECU, fuel pump, starter, etc. Tons of possibilities.

Now, if you want to do something really slick, you can use a magnetic reed switch hidden just under the top of the dash. You would need to put a magnet in just the right spot in order to start the car.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Charles said:
Unnecessarily complex. I have two kill switches. One close by for everyday use. Another more difficult to reach for "lockdown" situations like malls. You can kill the ECU, fuel pump, starter, etc. Tons of possibilities.
Oh, I agree completely it's unnecessarily complex. I think my first line of defense would be to pull a couple fuses and pocket them. But I'm a computer engineer, and as the saying goes, "when the only tool you've got is a hammer ..."

The thing that made me think of this is that it's a derivative of the technique used to secure newer cars (RFID in key). But, for instance the '01-05 civic I know has a backdoor that consists of a sequence of e-brake pulls and ignition on-off that will convince the ECU to override and start even though it doesn't have the proper RFID code from the key.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
My car was recently broken into, makes me want to get going on the security side of things big time.

Sorry to hear about the theft, I hope you get your car back, and not just a shell. :cry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a call this morning that my CRX had been recovered! All they could tell me was that it wasn't drivable. After many hours of phone calls, I found the car at a recovery/impound lot. It wasn't as bad as I imagined, but still pretty bad. Here's the bad:

1) All four wheels/tires are gone. Not a big deal as these can easily be replaced.
2) The JDM Integra steering wheel is gone.
3) The center console is gone.
4) The hatch cover is gone.
5) All of the stereo equipment (Pioneer head unit, XM radio, 2 subs, amps and box) are gone.
6) The battery is gone. They just cut the wires, so new cables would be needed.
7) The spark plug wires are gone.
8. The OEM floor mats are gone.
9) VIN plate from the door and dash are gone; however, the VIN that is on the firewall was untouched.

Here is what is still in one piece:

1) Dash
2) Door panels (dirty, but still in good condition)
3) Seats (dirty, but still in good condition)
4) Small trunk behind the seat
5) Gauge cluster
6) Climate control
7) Sunroof (including OEM sunroof deflector that is very hard to find)
8 ) All glass
9) Taillights/Headlights
10) All body panels (doors, hatch, hood, fenders, bumpers, etc)
11) Suspension (Tokico shocks and H&R springs...a few years old)
12) Brakes...Brembo blank rotors and Hawk pads that I had installed the morning it was stolen.
13) Engine...as far as I could tell, the engine was still in decent shape. I wouldn't really know how much damage was done during the stripping or towing until I got it home.

As of right now, I'm not sure what to do. I have two options...

1) Find some wheels/tires and a steering wheel very quickly (a day or less) and have it towed home for further investigation. Since the core of the car (body, engine, glass, brakes, etc) are still in good shape, I'm tempted to make this my project car and restore it to original condition over the next many, many years.
2) Get a replacement title tomorrow, sign the car over to the impound lot, and move on.

Any thoughts? Anyone in the Phoenix area selling some wheels/tires and a steering wheel?!! :wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.