Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often times when i'm going very slowly or standing still and i have to crank my wheels to one side i get a nasty sounding clunking noise. Its def metallic sounding. The only thing I can't think of are my lower ball joints, which had split boots for the past 4000 miles (i know i know i know but my life was very hectic). However I get no other clunking noises that would indicate that the ball joints were bad. I just replaced the steering rack because of a bad bushing and it was an dx-si swap, but the noise hasn't chaged.

Not sure what else it could be. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
jmart said:
Often times when i'm going very slowly or standing still and i have to crank my wheels to one side i get a nasty sounding clunking noise. Its def metallic sounding. The only thing I can't think of are my lower ball joints, which had split boots for the past 4000 miles (i know i know i know but my life was very hectic). However I get no other clunking noises that would indicate that the ball joints were bad. I just replaced the steering rack because of a bad bushing and it was an dx-si swap, but the noise hasn't chaged.

Not sure what else it could be. Any thoughts?
CV joints.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that too but they don't knock when driving with the wheels turned, and boots are not split.

hrmmmmm

·
Registered
13 Posts
yea i had this promblem too acualy i bouhgt my crx from a friend and when i was test driving it to get a good feel for it the lower ball joint broke and the control arm snapped off and i was dragging the rotor and it wasnt plesent so get that checked out it was makeing a loud nocking sound before

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SETI20 said:
Steering rack bushing.

$15 fix.
No, i'm quite familiar with that. The Si rack I swapped in has a good bushing in it, I checked.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright, well it IS the cv joints, i finally turned down the music and listened today. Looks like raxles is going to make a couple hundred dollars off of me...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Um, well the joints are doing some significant grinding, clunking, and clicking. I'v enever disassembled a cv joint before, is it possible to service them? What else would you do besides replace them?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ooooooh, i just heard that parts store specialties were often junk. No?

I'm all about a cheap, but quality solution.

·
Registered
390 Posts
NAPA and carquest both give you a lifetime warranty on axles. Buy both if you want to keep things even. I bought one pair a long time ago, they died, so I took them back to carquest, showed them my receipt and they handed me another set. Cost me $110 after I got my core charge back. $55 bucks an axle that is good going to be good for life works for me heh.

If you hear metal or the boot has been open for some time, there is no use to try and repair them... metal and metal has already started deteriorating the joints and it will only continue to get worse.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya, see, that is the thing: the boots are not torn. But there def is a clicking especially when turnign sharply left under acceleration.

Anyway there is another sound that i hear that doesn't sound like the axles. When i'm turning sharply, say doing a 180 in the street in front of my house to go the opposite direction, and I start to straighten out I hear a metal clang sound from each side of the front of the car. To me it sounds as if my dust shields were caught on something then they both snapped loose. If you can imagine the sound that i'm describing, please tell me what you think it might be. I'm not saying that the dust shields are actually gettign cuaght, it just makes that sort of sound.

·
Registered
390 Posts
May want to try to put the front of the car on blocks, have someone turn the steering wheel and you can inspect the wheels etc. Might have to take your wheels off after that to get deeper into it. Also, put the car in neutral and try spinning the wheels some to see if anything is making contact... or, turn the car on and watch/listen to where the noise is coming from. If you don't hear anything, maybe there needs to be a load on the front end and that test won't tell you anything significant.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good call dohcya. I did have the car up on jackstands when I replaced the steering rack but my testing for the noise was pretty half assed as I had a lot of other little maintenance items to do to the car. I think I will need to jack it up and load the suspension if not the very wheels themselves. Hmmmm....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.