Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my lights, AC and radio on, a strange thing happened while sitting at a light. The radio and AC turned off and back on briefly.

I had the battery and alternator checked at the parts store though I suspect the results are no conclusive. All was fine.

Voltage regulator?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Clean your battery terminals. I was driving around the other day and intermittently when I applied a small electrical load, like brake lights or the A/C clutch, my radio would die like if its playing and then you start the car. Otherwise the car ran fine. I cleaned the terminals and sealed the battery, and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point. My positive terminal is the original OEM one and is not that great. I think I will go ahead and replace it.

And the $10K is for my other rex, the 1991 Tahitian Green Si. Still 10K as I would really rather keep it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay guys, I replaced the positive battery clamp and made sure that everything was cleaned, roughed up, and clamped tight. Not only is the issue gone, but idle no longer dips when I coast, the A/C fan blows stronger, and the clock and indicator lights no longer have a barely perceptible lag when they come on.

I also have no longer have periodic slight overheating. Remember all that I went through? Well, the fans still don't come on except with the AC (I am getting to it eventually) but I suspect that they did not blow as strongly as they should have because of the resistance at the battery. Since they are SPAL aftermarket fans without the OEM shroud, I'll bet that even a little drop in RPMs would significantly affect their effectiveness.

This is a must do maintenance item for our older cars. Very little cash for a significant improvement.

·
Registered
500 Posts
While you are messing around with the battery, I would strongly suggest into looking at some battery/ignition sealer. The stuff I used was NAPA's brand, came in a blue areosol can, and almost applied like clearcoat. We use this stuff at work, and it works incredibly well for keeping your battery and terminals clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.