·
Registered
CR-X Si JDM 1990
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes I know another 'strange sound' post. :roll: :D

I recorded a small movie file that demos the sound. -2.86MB

http://www.celebratewithcake.co.uk/test/test.mov

Its not the normal engine sound but the other popping' sound. I did a search - so I guess it could be water pump. The only think I know is that its not the Ac idle pulley as that's brand spanking new. The sound is coming from lower down in the cam area I think and starts a minute or so after the car is started. I know its not a great sound file but any help appreciated.

The engine is a ZC DOHC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine made a noise a lot like that once but it turned out that the timing belt was flopping a bit. I just loosened the tensioner and rotated the crank to take the slack out and retightened the tensioner. You could also try removing the AC and alt. belts just to be sure the noise isn't coming from any of those things. I've never heard a water pump make a sound like that but who knows?

·
Registered
CR-X Si JDM 1990
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi - thanks for the reply. I have checked the plugs - they are fine. The noise does rise with revs and becomes less noticable. It may be the tentioner. So might try adjusting it like you said and see if theres any difference. I can live with the noise, its just that I like to head off problems before they become bigger.

cheers
:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
wahee said:
I can live with the noise, its just that I like to head off problems before they become bigger.
A loose timing belt is a SERIOUS problem. You would be smart to replace the timing belt, tensioner and water pump (it is burried under the timing belt so do it while you are in there). Spend some money now or spend a lot later.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.