Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the trick to this little bastard?! I thought I had it all in right with the clip, went out and tried it, nothing. I come back, this time put the car on the lift, and what do I see... a mangled spring at the end of my cable! Guess there won't be any VTEC on my way home today :(

·
Registered
778 Posts
downest said:
What's the trick to this little bastard?! I thought I had it all in right with the clip, went out and tried it, nothing. I come back, this time put the car on the lift, and what do I see... a mangled spring at the end of my cable! Guess there won't be any VTEC on my way home today :(
Man I hate that damn thing! It is in the worst location right next to that rear tranny mount. Took me 30 minutes to get mine in and make sure it wouldn't come out. That clip that comes with it needed to be bent to keep everything together.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man, I actually found that a little after I posted. I thought I got it back in there right, but it didn't work, when I looked at it again the cable was bent and shredded. The new one came with a rubber sheathing around it, should I just pull out the cable inside and replace that?

·
Registered
731 Posts
downest said:
should I just pull out the cable inside and replace that?
You mean to pull the cable out of the new unit and replace the old one with it? If so, NOOO you'll probably damage it by doing that. And even if you don't, it probably wont fit like it should and would be likely to fail.

Replace the whole thing, it's not that hard. Just pull the instrument cluster forward and you'll see how it comes out. You might have to look at it from under the dash too. Can't remember exactly but I think it's one of them "rotate, slide up, pull out" kinda deals.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Speedo cable? How hard can it be? You pull back the rubber boot stick it in (align the cable) snap the clip in the slot, shove the boot back down and bam, done! Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well I ran into some problems. I ran the whole new cable, not that bad. Now I can't get it into the gear because the end of the old one broke off in there, and I can't get the thing out. How are you supposed to remove it?
Looks like I'm going to NH with no speedo/VTEC.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
downest said:
Ok well I ran into some problems. I ran the whole new cable, not that bad. Now I can't get it into the gear because the end of the old one broke off in there, and I can't get the thing out. How are you supposed to remove it?
Looks like I'm going to NH with no speedo/VTEC.
Ooooooh. Could you use a magnet to get the end out? Tweezers? needlenose pliers? Maybe you need to remove the rear torque mount to get room to fiddle in there. I'm assuming this is in the tranny not the gauges.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I tried a magnet, but it won't come out. How do you get the whole speedo gear out, does it just pull? I tried pulling it (after removing the 10mm bolt and tab) but it wouldn't move. I really want my VTEC!

I'm not sure if this is related, but I get a weird chugging/bogging between 2-3k RPMs or so only sometimes, and seemingly only in the top three gears.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Don't just pull, wiggle too. Before that even, I'd tap it softly with a rubber mallot(from every direction you can) to break up whatever crud has glued itself to the unit.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I hate stupid delicate little parts like that.
May the force be with you...
Also, when you do get it out and are ready to put the new cable in, my only advice is to make sure the cable is really all the way down in. When I did mine a week and a half ago I was able to do it in about 5 minute in one try, but i did notice that if the little square end of the cable isn't aligned right, ti won't seat all the way in the gear. I suspect that this may be why your old one got shredded.
Anyway, let us know.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stupid rain today, didn't get to look at it. I miss RPI and the nice shop! Anyway, can anyone give me info on the bogging im feeling? The timing is set to 12BTDC, I wanted to be conservative for the high compression.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just bought a set-up for data logging with a wide band using Crome. So anybody in the area is welcome to stop by. I have a chip emulator so it'll go quicker. Just don't have a chip burner. So you may need to bring that.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
i have a chip burner. if you can finalize a map and send it to me, i can burn chips for anyone that needs one.

I, like Dren, use Crome with datalogging.

IBM X31 Laptop
Crome Pro
HondaLog Datalogging Cable
Innovative Motorsports LC1 Wideband (I have an LM1 as well)
Moates Ostrich Chip Emulator
Burn1 USB Chip Burner

the other car runs/has run/will run again, zdyne

[email protected]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.